Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks awesome. If its not too much trouble could you please add pics on the bike when they go back on?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I dig it looks good. how did you keep the fins from being painted. thin piece of tape?

I'm assuming he sanded the paint off the fins. Easier than taping (or so I would think.) I'd love to see them on the bike too.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Question about painting valve cover:

What type of prep work did you do? Fast stripper, Primer, paint, clear coat? Thinking of doing a set in a satin black and not sure how much and what prep is actually necessary.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will probably be spring by the time they go back on the bike, it's outside buried in snow!

I wire-brushed and sanded off whatever clear coat was left on them, then just cleaned them up with methyl hydrate. It's rattle can VHT Wrinkle Plus paint, no primer or clear coat. 24 hours after the last coat I used a knife to peel off the paint off the ribs, but that did not expose enough bare metal to my liking. So I used a foam sander with some pressure to get a rounded exposed edge. I am concerned about leaving bare aluminum exposed, so I might just clear coat it.

·
Super Moderator
21,250 Posts
They came up looking great, thanks for showing what they look like.

I have a pair here with road rash too deep to polish out I will be doing just this with and now know what they look like.

Good work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did the same thing to my valve covers. I did the header collars also since they have ribs also. It looks good. I don't know if clear coat would stick to the wrinkle paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello all

I did the same on a spare set I had...turned out great..don't forget to bake at 200 degrees F for one hour! Really added to the appearance of my bike ,I think... John

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello all

I did the same on a spare set I had...turned out great..don't forget to bake at 200 degrees F for one hour! Really added to the appearance of my bike ,I think... John

I bought a can of this stuff today. The directions say to put on 3 coats, but it doesn't say how long to wait after that before putting it in the oven. I don't know if I should put them in right away or wait a while. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought a can of this stuff today. The directions say to put on 3 coats, but it doesn't say how long to wait after that before putting it in the oven. I don't know if I should put them in right away or wait a while. Any suggestions?

Hi-

I applied three coats at ten minutes apart,watched for runs, then let them air dry overnight.

Waited until my wife went to work, then turned on the fans, and baked at 200*F for one hour. Turned out great! Good luck!

All the best,

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will probably be spring by the time they go back on the bike, it's outside buried in snow!

I wire-brushed and sanded off whatever clear coat was left on them, then just cleaned them up with methyl hydrate. It's rattle can VHT Wrinkle Plus paint, no primer or clear coat. 24 hours after the last coat I used a knife to peel off the paint off the ribs, but that did not expose enough bare metal to my liking. So I used a foam sander with some pressure to get a rounded exposed edge. I am concerned about leaving bare aluminum exposed, so I might just clear coat it.
Hello there. I have a question about not turning crank counterclockwise. What does this affect?

·
Super Moderator
4,110 Posts
Hello there. I have a question about not turning crank counterclockwise. What does this affect?
If doing the cam chain adjustment or adjusting the valves, a turn counter clockwise will loosen cam chain tension. If you are using the bolt on the front of the crankshaft to turn the engine, a turn counter clockwise can loosen the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
21,250 Posts
Because of the way the camchain tensioners work in some motors they should never be rotated backwards. If you go past the timing marks when rotating the motor they must be rotated on a further full two turns to get back to the same position.

The CX really doesn't care about this. Nothing bad will happen.

But the motor must still be rotated forward {clockwise from the front} when adjusting the camchain for the reason outlined by Reclinedrelic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts