Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question. I have a 1981 GL500 that I am fixing up. Is the "p" on the ignition switch to lock the forks? And what does it mean if a wire jumps when you put the key in the "p" position?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Stupid question. I have a 1981 GL500 that I am fixing up. Is the "p" on the ignition switch to lock the forks? And what does it mean if a wire jumps when you put the key in the "p" position?

The "p" stands for Park. Your forks will be locked and your taillight should be on. The next notch should be lock, where your tail light will be off and your forks still locked. Not sure what you mean by a wire jumps...

If you leave it in "p" all day at work your battery will be dead when you try to go home, and it will be raining! At least that is what happens to me.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The "p" stands for Park. Your forks will be locked and your taillight should be on. The next notch should be lock, where your tail light will be off and your forks still locked. Not sure what you mean by a wire jumps...

If you leave it in "p" all day at work your battery will be dead when you try to go home, and it will be raining! At least that is what happens to me.
as mr Softie said......dont play in that area,it will end in tears.if you require more security,buy something from 2011 if you need/want extra security.

jump wires..? not sure what you mean,wires dont jump[on their own anyway
]

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Only thing I can THINK of, is that when you turn the handlebars THAT far, you are pulling, or at least catching a wire somewheres. See if you can't isolate that wire and back-track it while turning the handlebars to the stops.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If a wire is jumping (moving?) when you put it in P for park lights, could be a short in that connection.

Really is a temporary only function on the bike, as a emergency illumination feature, because as already mentioned the draw

is too much for any duration, otherwise you will kill the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts