Honda CX 500 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
OK .... I finished this motor about 6 weeks ago and it had been waiting for paint, which I did yesterday and last night.

It has been painted in duplicolor engine enamel..

I was going to final assemble and detail today but got sidetracked to some muffler work.

Will finish off through the evenings this week and likely fit to the bike next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Engine detailed and fitted.

Since fitting the coolant bottle I had found another one - NOS - on ebay. Snapped it up for a very reasonable price before anyone else saw it I think. New lid too and an aftermarket lid sticker. The bale is new too - supplied by VC3.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking good. Did you give the oil-filter cover any special treatment to prevent/minimise stone chips?

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I just painted it and highlighted the fins with polish.

I see them done in black this way - even done a couple myself - but not seen a silver one done this way.

Thought it would look less blingy than all polished.

I've just replaced the wretched ignition switch. Thought I'd better do it before adding the throttle and clutch cables to have even more stuff in the way.

I'd rebuilt the one that was fitted and it works OK but the key started pulling out of the lock on 'on' not long after I fitted it.

I hate that.

Also extended the loom wires for the oil pressure light and temp sender. They were about three inches short.

Likely because this is actually a 500C loom which is a little shorter {But otherwise mostly identical to a 500D} so I set it to the front and extended stuff up the back to reach - and match with the standard tail light.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Looks great, the engine came out really nice.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Not a great deal of shed time just lately and a minor parts related holdup on fitting the exhaust system.

I was all set to fit the H box and header pipes when I realised that I didn't have the graphite pipe to H box gaskets I thought I had. Ordered from wemoto and should have them by next weekend.

I've fitted the carbs using David Silvers replica intake runners. These were a little awkward to fit requiring the heat gun and some cursing but did fit. I also threw a new filter in the airbox and added carb drain hoses routed to under the bike.

These are the correct accel pump carbs for an 81 D.

I've also fitted the rad, including new hoses.

Also fitted a new throttle sleeve and OEM cable as well as a new OEM clutch cable.

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I've fitted the radiator shroud over the weekend and used the alloy side panels I'd drilled and filed the southern cross in - years ago now.

The chrome steel shell courtesy of VC3. He sent me two like this some time back. The other is on my 500C.

Were these chrome on 500Ds? I've never seen a chrome one here.

Mounted the H box and installed the header pipes.

Have prepared the mufflers for fitting by plugging the crossovers with a piece of steel which is the slugs spat out by my 38 mm hole saw. These were hammered in as they were a tight fit and tacked down. I doubt they'll leak, they went in much like a welsh plug, expanding the muffler 'neck' slightly.

Have made a pattern for the muffler mounts and will make these in due course. Not sure whether in steel or aluminium yet. Probably aluminium though.

There are heat shields for these mufflers which I'll likely use but at the moment they'll just be in the way.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow Phreak!! Looking really nice!

What a great found that coolant bottle was...!! Thats gonna make the bike even more like brand new for sure!
Is this bike now becoming cleaner than the Thinghy!?!?!?......:rolleyes::oops::LOL:

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Thanks Speedster. That coolant bottle is nice isn't it? :)

Neither bike is that clean. My shed has a dust problem, even with drop cloths on the bikes.

Have made the muffler mounts and fitted them. They are made from some sort of structural aluminium, I don't know what it is, but it is much stronger than the aluminium that I buy. Harder to bend and to cut.

Obviously I've also fitted a rebuilt set of passenger pegs.

Have now started stripping a pair of sidecovers. I have a rear mudguard picked out and will look at the fuel tanks I have here to select the best one. I have already paint prepped a fuel tank but have collected more since then so I may yet have a better one.

·
Super Moderator
4,209 Posts
I'm waiting for you to install LEDs behind the rad shrouds so that the southern cross will light up at night. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
4,209 Posts
Amazing what will grow from a small seed! :D

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Having picked a fuel tank for this bike it's time to prepare it.

I forgot to get any before photos but this was a black standard tank, still in its factory paint. As straight as a dye. But the paint had failed top and bottom and it had extensive surface rust.

Both paint and rust were mechanically stripped by various means - wire brushes on both drill and angle grinder, stripping discs, impregnated nylon stripping wheels. 36 grit bog paper, 60 watt emery, knives, files ....

this was a 78 tank so had the holders underneath for the heat shield pad. I had no issue with keeping these but they had been thinned by surface rust so were entirely removed by grinding out three spot welds on each revealing more surface rust.

A dam was made around the badge holders. This was filled with metal rescue and covered with cling wrap. Each side was left for a couple of days. Oddly, the metal rescue caused surface rust outside the dam where it leaked. This necessitated a final rub down with 80 emery cloth.

This has had 2 coats of etch primer all over and the top given 2 heavy coats of primer filler, which I'm rubbing out tonight.

Sidecovers and rear guard soon to be primed. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Another small step. Have now fitted the better front guard that I got from Mario {CXApatite}. Thanks mate.

Still waiting for things to align to paint this bike. Weather is a little unpredictable at the moment and it turns out I could have painted the colour coats this last weekend. Oh well. Bureau of meteorology says that next weekend likely won't cut it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That looks a lot better than when I had it!

161 - 180 of 191 Posts