Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone knows what is going on, I am at a loss...

Started the bike up today for a quick ride. Started strong, popped it in gear and she went, but barely. I rode her about a mile around the neighborhood, but I don't think I broke 10 miles per hour??? She would shift through every gear, but responded the same in each... She moved under her own power, but I have a very small hill by my house and she just barely made it up... I am baffled.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or this caused it, but she ran fine when I got home the other night. I swapped out handlebars and this is the first time I have had her out for a ride after doing that.

Is there something on the handlebars that would cause this, or is it a freak occurrence?

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Nuke

"Frankenbike" - 82 Honda CX500 Custom in the middle of minor modifications...

Central IL

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I posted this in another thread yesterday,,but it may be applicable to your problem.

This sounds like you may be running on only one cylinder,,it could be electrical or a fuel issue causing it.

I would try removing the plug wires one side at a time. If you remove one and it makes no difference in the engine then that is probably the side not working. If the engine quits that would be the side that is working.

You may have a bad spark plug.You can test to see if the plug is firing by removing the plug and putting it back in the wire and holding the bottom of the plug against the engine hanger while rolling the engine over with the starter, don't use the valve covers, they are mounted on rubber gaskets and are not a good ground.

It could also be a bad resistor in one of the spark plug caps.

If you have spark on both sides but are only running on one cylinder then it is probably a fuel issue.

Also see this page at DaveF's website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give this a shot tomorrow. I still want to think it is something tied to swapping the handlebars, but I just can't figure out what it would be. I will update after checking it out tomorrow...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Is the throttle response the same as it was before changing the bars?

Did you put higher bars on?

If your clutch cable was pulled too tight, it could be partially engaging the clutch would be like "riding the clutch", you could check to see if there is slack in the clutch lever.

If the brakes were sticking for some reason it could cause the bike to seem under powered too. If you can push the bike easily that would rule the brake out though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bars are about the same just the pullback is not a severe as the stock...

Clutch cable is fine, there is a bunch of slack on it. I checked that because that is what I thought originally, but from what I can tell it looks good.

Brakes, can push the bikes around without any problem.

Throttle control - the throttle is noticeably stiffer (doesn't want to snap back), but it easily moves when I turn it and the response in the engine (rpms) is like normal from what I can tell at the speeds I can get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey gave the cylinders a shot, pulled plugs one at a time, both sides are good.

I am thrown for a loop right now on what to check. I am going to relook at all the items that swapping handlebars touched.

Just in case, the engine revs up and RPMs will sail, but just no pull from the engine back to the rear wheel. It seems strange since she transferring some power, but it is almost as if it is only transferring the power of an idle?

BTW... Is it normal for the bike to not go into 2nd gear when not running, just pop back into neutral. I wasn't sure since I had never tried it before....

Any other suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks,

TN

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
When you are driving the bike it will rev up but you have no power?

If this is what is happening it would seem to be a problem with the clutch.

As to it not going into second without the engine running,,that could be normal, the next time you try it it might. Sometimes it can be hard to get the different gears without the engine running.

What position is the small lever coming out of the clutch cover at. 8 or 9 O'clock is about right.

This does seem odd,,I can't really think of anything you would do by changing the handlebar that would cause it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The small bar coming out of the clutch is at about 9...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You could check to see that the bolt is still in the drive shaft(under the rubber boot at the back of the engine), I would think if it broke or came out you would have drive or none at all, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good.

I have heard about the bike being finicky with oil. Do you think the oil could cause the clutch to have these problems?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Looks good.

I have heard about the bike being finicky with oil. Do you think the oil could cause the clutch to have these problems?

Yes I think it could,,did you do an oil change before this started? If you did it is probably what is causing the problem.

You should not use any oil that is "energy conserving". Most people on this forum use 15W-40.

See this thread for more on oil.

If you did use the wrong oil you may be able to change to the proper oil and it may cure the problem,,but it may not. You may have to disassemble and clean the clutch or worst case scenario, replace it.

I am surprised that the clutch would go from working alright to working as badly as you describe overnight, I would have thought it may take a few days for it to happen but if the clutch was weak it could be possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting how thinking bike will shine a light on what was previously unnoticed.

I did change the oil last weekend. And I had noticed on the evening prior to swapping the handle bars that I thought the higher gears (5th primarily) felt like it I was still at higher RPMs than normal. I suppose it was never going into 5th and I ran all the way home in 4th. Of course, while I had noticed it, I did not think anything of it. I have only been riding the bike for about a 2 weeks after 2 years in storage, so familiarity is still growing back...

I am going to paint the issue in as much detail from a ride late yesterday and please let me know if you think it is the clutch as I do now...

Will go into first gear and transfers power. Probably gets to 10 - 20 mph (my speedo is not connected) then will not pull anymore although the RPMs will climb

Shift into second and there is a very slight if any transfer of power while the RPMs will still respond. Appears to shift into other gears, but there is zero transfer of power elsewhere, same with the RPMs as previous.

Thanks so much for the help, it is great to be able to bounce ideas and work through the issue...

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Have you checked the free play in the clutch cable, as if it is really tight it may be preventing the clutch plates to fully engage ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Have you checked the free play in the clutch cable, as if it is really tight it may be preventing the clutch plates to fully engage ?
as my learned friend has suggested,you need 15mm of free play at the lever,pull it 15mm and zero resistance at the arm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will have to check the clutch cable, might be a day or two before I get back to work on the bike. I don't expect a problem there, but it would be alot easier to correct that than to think the clutch may need rebuilt/replaced...

Is there a good how to some where on this, I am not so much mechanically inclined than I am mechanically unafraid :)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Is there a good how to some where on this, I am not so much mechanically inclined than I am mechanically unafraid :)

What oil did you use?

I would try changing the oil and then let the bike run for a while. Then you could try riding it around. I would expect it to slip but then you could let it sit for a day or so then try the same thing,,kind of the reverse of what happened when you changed the oil the first time.

If it doesn't get any better then you can see about cleaning/rebuilding the clutch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used 10w-40 from O'Reilly's. I forgot to check the ratings, I will pick up some proper oil and go that route. I really hope the oil change would do the trick...

Once again, thanks for the input! It has be invaluable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What oil did you use?

I would try changing the oil and then let the bike run for a while. Then you could try riding it around. I would expect it to slip but then you could let it sit for a day or so then try the same thing,,kind of the reverse of what happened when you changed the oil the first time.

If it doesn't get any better then you can see about cleaning/rebuilding the clutch.

UPDATE for those helping. Swapped out the oil (found Mobil Dextron 15w-40 for diesel on sale for $10 a gallon), let it run for a while. Took it for a quick ride and better, far from right but could get into 3rd gear with some pull and noticable grab when downshifting into second. That was gone the other day, first gear was the only thing there.

Will give it a shot over the next few days and see if it gets better with time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts