Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm betting your fan will finish breaking apart soon and then the grinding will stop and you can get back to riding... Kinda like how you fix problems in cars, you turn the radio up some more. "You hear that? Nope!"

Na, just pull the radiator off... takes maybe 10 minutes, you need a 10mm socket to remove 7 bolts. and undo the overflow line at the top, and the upper and lower line, just hose clamps. At that point you probably won't even have to crank the engine to see if the blade is any good. Hopefully the fan didn't twist off the end of your camshaft with it. But you can run the engine without the radiator. Obviously it'll overheat easy... so I wouldn't do it for more than 1 minute. Which is plenty of time to diagnose the problem.

David Silver Spares USA - Honda GL500 DC SILVERWING Radiator fan

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm betting your fan will finish breaking apart soon and then the grinding will stop and you can get back to riding... Kinda like how you fix problems in cars, you turn the radio up some more. "You hear that? Nope!"

Na, just pull the radiator off... takes maybe 10 minutes, you need a 10mm socket to remove 7 bolts. and undo the overflow line at the top, and the upper and lower line, just hose clamps. At that point you probably won't even have to crank the engine to see if the blade is any good. Hopefully the fan didn't twist off the end of your camshaft with it. But you can run the engine without the radiator. Obviously it'll overheat easy... so I wouldn't do it for more than 1 minute. Which is plenty of time to diagnose the problem.

David Silver Spares USA - Honda GL500 DC SILVERWING Radiator fan

1. DO NOT block off the overflow lines... it has to come out somewhere because it's overheating... if you plug it up, it'll just find the weakest spot in the system and blow it out.
2. I've never heard of grinding valves... I'd def say it's the fan. Valves usually tick and clatter... Does it crank and run fine besides the overheating? If so, then it's not the valves. If you have valve clatter just adjust them. But they shouldn't be grinding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.