Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I had my carbs off to clean them, replace seals, screws and also add pod filters. Adding pod filters meant that I rejetted as well. So after putting them back on the bike now idles at 3000rpm. The jets were 90-120 main jets, the pods are good quality K&ns, the idle screw is all the way out so the throttle isn't being kept on and the idle mixture screw is 2 turns out. I'm not sure what else to try here, any advice?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish it was that simply, but none of the cables are holding it up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a synchronizer on the way but even if they're not in sync it shouldn't be over revving by nearly 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible I have a vacuum leak? Some previous posts on here indicate that might be a cause of similar problems?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, they can over rev from being out of synch - one of the throttle butterflies may be too far open.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Did you atleast bench sync them when you had them off? I usually have pretty fair luck doing that, so they aren't too far off when I check with a vacuum sync then.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You just have the carbs on your work bench and I use a needle to hold between the butterfly and the carb body then turn the adjusting nuts until both butterflies are even. It gives you a good starting point and usually the bike, etc will run fairly well with just a bench sync. But to be perfect you have to use the vacuum sync. But if yours are way off it could def account for your high revs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies to Francois25, my disbelief was unfounded. After taking the carbs off again it was indeed a synchronization issue. The difference between the butterfly valves was tiny but it was the problem, bike now runs at a smooth 1100. I'll be taking your advice and doing a more thorough check with a synchronizer but for the moment the bikes runs alright so I'll sleep easy. Thanks to locomojo and everyone else who responded, I always really appreciate the help.

Reactions: Francois25

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you used " Larry's Guide to rebuilding the Keihin CX/GL carbs" book, the proceedure to bench balance is on page 31. The book is a must if you want to thoroughly rebuild your carbs the right way with no mistakes. Your ride will be sweet and you will know what causes poor running conditions because he explains it all in the book. You could also build your own manometer. Search the tech forum for 3 types of simple to make, cheap manometers. Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts