Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike stays out side year round and i ride it every day . any tips to keeping it up in the weather . i dont have a shed and a bike cover wouldnt be practical i get home at 7 in the evening and leave at 5 in the morning.i want to keep the plastic looking good and not cracking up

·
Registered
161 Posts
my bike stays out side year round and i ride it every day . any tips to keeping it up in the weather . i dont have a shed and a bike cover wouldnt be practical i get home at 7 in the evening and leave at 5 in the morning.i want to keep the plastic looking good and not cracking up

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Maybe some details?

I've seen similar covers, but they're usually a bit pricey.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe some details?

I've seen similar covers, but they're usually a bit pricey.
I just Googled "Ride in motorcycle cover" and grabbed that image. There are a number of them on the market.

I finally broke down and got a 10x20 "carport" from Costco to put the bikes in. That isn't helpful if you've got no space for it though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The ride in covers like mnd posted usually run around $250, not cheap! I have been interested in them but have not yet had the extra resources to get one. Both my bikes live outdoors and always have. Even with covers it is somewhat hard on the paint. My hack is a problem I will probably not be able to solve, it is simply too wide for the drive in covers. Since my GL650 is such a low mileage bike I plan to get a drive in cover for it, the SThack will just have to tough it out under the cover!

Gene

·
Registered
602 Posts
You should at least get a half cover to protect the paint, plastic, and seat. Half covers only take a few seconds to put on or take off even if you are doing it in the dark, they store really small so they can go anywhere with you, and can typically be found for less than $40.

Even with a cover keep all of the chrome clean and waxed, once it starts rusting it can go quick.

·
Registered
GL650
426 Posts
I use a tarp and a couple of bungees. Good for on the road, too. Not so much to protect the bike (although it does), but for the dry seat and windshield in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I think a little shed would be nice. Nothing permanent. Just the basics. Even if it' s a 2x4 frame with plastic stapled to it. Other than that I cant say much. I have an outdoor bike and I almost expect cloth to weather and paint to act like paint.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Just don't use plastic unless it is 100% around the bike and even then it isn't the best. Plastic doesn't breathe and when it doesn't breathe your bike rusts.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think a little shed would be nice. Nothing permanent. Just the basics. Even if it' s a 2x4 frame with plastic stapled to it. Other than that I cant say much. I have an outdoor bike and I almost expect cloth to weather and paint to act like paint.

Agreed, and you could take it a step further if you have the land. Set some 4x4 posts in the ground, 2x4 frame and thick plastic but I wouldn't just staple it, wind will tear it off in time. Use 1x furring strips along the key areas and rig a door, even if something that just flops down and doesn't totally seal.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
My Bikes are 'outdoor dogs' as I 've seen it described

No ideas on keeping them pretty but I do have cans of ACF50, Switch cleaner

WD40 etc to help keep them functional.

The fact you ride em most days helps, bike seem to suffer more if left idle

When you get time I suggest you get the old clothes on and have a good look underneath

Pro links are prone to seizing up, the mainstand pin can seize in the frame and the stand itself rot.

the occaisonal underside clean up and squish of oil/grease/jollop can prevent bigger problems later on.

I drilled holes and injected ACF50 in my frame lowers, the usual rot zones

My bikes will never be pretty but I do like to keep them as sound and functional

as I can.

Throw over bike covers are cheap and quick to use and stow away into small spaces

its better then nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts