Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
I would just consider that as an "intent to purchase" and sell your bike to the state for $9k+.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I definitely would sell for that, even half of that since i just found out the camshaft is in two pieces (and not the way it should be in two pieces)... 馃槙

Registered
I received a letter from the state of Ohio stating the average selling price for my 1978 CX500 (non runner currently in pieces btw) is $9,576.00!!! Isn't that amazing? Not only that, they think i owe them $745.51 in sales tax or I could be fined $1,000 or spend 6 months in prison. Once word of this gets around we should see the prices of our bikes start to soar! See attached excerpt from the letter below.

View attachment 198959
I received a letter from the state of Ohio stating the average selling price for my 1978 CX500 (non runner currently in pieces btw) is $9,576.00!!! Isn't that amazing? Not only that, they think i owe them $745.51 in sales tax or I could be fined $1,000 or spend 6 months in prison. Once word of this gets around we should see the prices of our bikes start to soar! See attached excerpt from the letter below.

View attachment 198959
I've got a 650 interstate I'll sell for 2k and it runs!

Registered
D-Fresh,

Wow! I'm worried man, I just titled my $600 CX650C yesterday in Norwalk, Ohio. Had to pay a $5 late fee. I guess I'll wait for my letter :). Only half joking. I had to go through this once before on an old car. I had a phone number that I had to call and talked to some poor low level bureaucrat. While everything worked out in my favor I hung up thinking that there was not any rhyme nor reason on the state valuations. Just some dude's goofy idea on that particular day. I'm looking up my state representative as we speak. Good luck.

Stay safe,
Traveller

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
D-Fresh,

Wow! I'm worried man, I just titled my $600 CX650C yesterday in Norwalk, Ohio. Had to pay a $5 late fee. I guess I'll wait for my letter :). Only half joking. I had to go through this once before on an old car. I had a phone number that I had to call and talked to some poor low level bureaucrat. While everything worked out in my favor I hung up thinking that there was not any rhyme nor reason on the state valuations. Just some dude's goofy idea on that particular day. I'm looking up my state representative as we speak. Good luck.

Stay safe,
Traveller
My thoughts on this is the fact that someone is spending time going through all the titles in ohio to pick ones to red flag and then assign some ridiculous arbitrary price for it with no actual basis for the price? The kicker is, you are guilty until YOU prove yourself innocent of some unwarranted tax that could cost you a hefty fine, jail time or both. What kind of system is that??? My guess is the state is looking for revenue anyway they can, [email protected]!

I was hip to the late fee if you don't register within 30 days i think so i made sure i transferred mine promptly (didn't know how much the fine was).

I'm glad your story had a happy ending, I'm still waiting to see how mine plays out.

Cheers

Registered
I don't miss the east coast taxation laws one bit. Around here you bring in previous signed off title, bill of sale with a sales price, pay the sales tax and title fees. No need to register until you are putting it on the road. Usually a simple question of if it is running or not. Nope will be spending months getting it ready... Done deal.

Registered
Hey, these bike are collector items !!!!! Guess there ready for a museum. Oh ? In Florida there only worth 500 maybe. Better stay in Ohio. I will send you my bike and sell it for me. How much for two extra engines???? 馃槀馃槾

Super Moderator
I had a Cx650 c for a while and when I titled it in Wisconsin the idiot at the counter handed me a title that said Cx650 Custom Racer. When I questioned it he said that's what the computer said and I said that type of bike doesn't exist. I settled on it and left as he was an idiot. Eventually I sold it to my brother in Michigan and the State of Michigan asked why it was a Racer and my brother answered some DMV idiot in Wisconsin. It isn't a Racer now.

Registered
A friend who moved to Cleveland for work for 18 months told me you have to pay not only state and fed income tax but also Cleveland city income tax and also city income tax for the first ring suburb city you are renting an apartment in even though it is just over the Cleveland city line. That's 4 different income taxes folks.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts