Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something other than the stock ones.

Anyone have some from the cx650 or the aftermarket

cx500 ones?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd like to see some transparent ones made of the kind of glass that is used for cookware. Maybe add some red LED's inside for a scenic display at night.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
And after all that: Yes, 500 valve covers will work on a 650. Other than the ugly aftermarket ones that have a flat top, painted black with the edges of the ribs left shiny are about the only option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
half on topic. how important are the cooling fins on the rocker covers. can they be removed or a sheetmetal alternative be made and not have negative effects heat wise?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I believe: Without cooling fins the oil temperature will increase for around two degree Celsius. From 97 to 99 or 100° C.;)

A glass cover is not bad: You can see when it's the time to change the oil, ....or if it's getting milky ....... etc. :))

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
I have seen another aftermarket type, but have no idea where they come from.

$499? I'm glad I think the original CX covers are better looking.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just an option. Like I said, out of my budget for this build. However, I know there are people out there that think that's reasonable and wouldn't think twice about dropping $500+ for valve covers.
I build split bamboo fly fishing rods that sell for $1500-$2000 and always hear people say they could go to Walmart and buy one for $75; so I have no room to critize them, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
I hadn't seen those before. Other than having their name on them they don't look bad at all. It says "for the serious CX500 enthusiast", but if most CX enthusiasts I know had a spare $500 laying around they would spend it on another CX, not a set of fancy rocker covers.

The ugly ones I mentioned before look like this
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like those covers actually. Not the best looking ones but not bad. The 650 are nice too. Im aware of the ones that are available to swap. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has some to sell.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Personally, of all of the options available I prefer the stock 500 covers as far as looks go. But that's just my opinion and you have to decide what you like.

I was just thinking about the main reason I think those ones are ugly is because there is no shape to them - the tops are completely flat, probably to facilitate using a belt sander to remove the paint on all of the raised areas. Then I got thinking about the idea of glass ones. Its too bad Lexan gets soft below the temperature that rocker covers run at.....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Anyone know what temperature the valve covers get up to and what "space age material" Clear Vue uses and if there is a high-temp clear polyester casting resin available?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would really like a set of the turbo covers.
But I've only been able to find a left one.
The "joker" one is Redicuously expensive
And not to mention overly branded and hideous.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
The material won't lower the temp. at all, it simply has lower emissivity and conducts less heat.

This would probably lead to a negligible increase in engine temps.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Aluminum fins could be embedded into the material to transfer the heat from oil to air but differing expansion and contraction rates could be a problem.
Apologies to project X for this thread diversion :nono:

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
@Condo:
Although plastic (glass) is an insulator and will not conduct heat as well as aluminum so the oil temp may climb another notch or two.

WolFgang? What do you think about this?
and:
@missing linkage:
Anyone know what temperature the valve covers get up to
I had a temperatur sensor installed in the drain hole of the cylinder head.
The highest temperatur value was 120° Celsius, ...when the bike was running on the road !
On the valve cover -I think- You will have approximately 80 ° C..

When the engine is really hot, You can touch the covers with the hands (But do it just for very short moment:D )
They work running 40 degrees cooler than aluminum.
40 degrees sounds good, but when I "translate" /convert it to Celsius,
From 120°C = 248°F to 208°F = 98°C
Thats a good sign for a good insulation effect. Inside the splashing oil will still have the 120°C.

Gruesse
WolFgang

1 - 20 of 39 Posts