Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the EMGO 23-93152 (75-76 Honda Supersport replica) handlebar from Niche Cycle to replace my original '82 Custom buckhorn bar. Disappointingly, the throttle grip binds on the the handlebar, even when only partially installed. At first I thought the cables were binding due to the new angle, but they're nice and snappy as soon as the grip is slid past the end of the bar. I ruled out the plastic bar end plug. I greased the inside of the grip tube, but that didn't help (and I'll clean it back out). The original bar measures 22mm on the nose, and the new bar is 22.2mm (exactly 7/8").

I figured 7/8 is 7/8, but is there a subtle part incompatibility here that I should have known about? Should I choose a different bar?

Should I sand off 0.2mm of chrome?

Should I sand the inside of the grip tube?

Should I get a replacement grip tube?

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
87 Posts
I wonder if it was 3D printed as the quick turn one I got from Murrays? It does not slide smoothly over the bar end, but I just plan on honing it smoother and smaller when install time comes.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if it was 3D printed as the quick turn one I got from Murrays? It does not slide smoothly over the bar end, but I just plan on honing it smoother and smaller when install time comes.
The throttle grip is from 1982! The EMGO handlebar is new but is definitely bent steel tubing, not 3D printed.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
87 Posts
I misread...thought the throttle tube was new, Note to self: No posting before coffee.
Was thinking of it from my recent reluctant fit of tube to tubular.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I misread...thought the throttle tube was new, Note to self: No posting before coffee.
Was thinking of it from my recent reluctant fit of tube to tubular.
That's OK and I figured that was the case. Did you mean that you plan to sand down your handlebar?

I'm beyond the point of being able to return the handlebar so I don't mind sanding it down a touch if this isn't frowned upon by the hive mind.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
Does the '82 Custom have tabs to keep the throttle and clutch lever mounts aligned? If so, you'll either need to grind those off or drill the bar to accommodate them. Otherwise, the throttle base might be distorting (and breaking) enough to bind the throttle tube.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Video:
I've been sanding the inside of the tube for a while but it feels futile. Not shown here: I wanted to make sure that it's not the cables binding at a weird angle so I held the old bar off to the side and did not have any binding even with the cables all akimbo.

EDIT: I think it is the cables binding. I've measured for a new set of throttle cables and will probably put the old bars back on tomorrow so I can ride until I have what I need to complete this setup.

·
Registered
GL650
432 Posts
I've changed handlebars on all my cx/gl bikes except the one CX500 Deluxe I owned. I'd replace your throttle tube just as a matter of course. They do break with age, they're super cheap and usually in stock everywhere. And +1 on the cables -- that's usually what causes the binding. Make sure they don't crisscross midway through their path to the carbs. . You can re-route them slightly for smoother curves. You will want to re-route your clutch cable too. And preferably shorten it -- I've gotten by without shortening on my present GL650 naked with replica CB750 handlebars , but I've used shorter bars and it was impossible to get the clutch cable re-routed sensibly without cutting it. I remember there being a decent article on that procedure somewhere in the wiki.

Also, loosen the nuts that hold those elbows in place right outside the cable housing. Changing their angle has been a big deal in my experience.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that advice. It was a frustrating day. Yes, the clutch cable will need to lose a whole 15 inches. The throttle cables will need to be 40 inches of housing, or about 8 inches shorter. Hopefully Motion Pro can turn some custom cables around quickly, unless you think there is an off the shelf option.

I've changed handlebars on all my cx/gl bikes except the one CX500 Deluxe I owned. I'd replace your throttle tube just as a matter of course. They do break with age, they're super cheap and usually in stock everywhere. And +1 on the cables -- that's usually what causes the binding. Make sure they don't crisscross midway through their path to the carbs. . You can re-route them slightly for smoother curves. You will want to re-route your clutch cable too. And preferably shorten it -- I've gotten by without shortening on my present GL650 naked with replica CB750 handlebars , but I've used shorter bars and it was impossible to get the clutch cable re-routed sensibly without cutting it. I remember there being a decent article on that procedure somewhere in the wiki.

Also, loosen the nuts that hold those elbows in place right outside the cable housing. Changing their angle has been a big deal in my experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had the same problem with "universal" handlebars in the past.
My solution was to sand the chrome down on the throttle side and apply a fair amount of grease.
I am presently looking for a slightly higher handlebar for my CX500A and will probably have to go through the above procedure again.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
I tried several different Emgo bars this past summer, and I had no problems with the throttle tube. Not sure why you'd be having trouble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts