Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased my first bike, well second but first running bike. its an 81 cx500 custom and it's perfect. no joking it has 712 original miles and in near flawless condition. bike runs perfect and starts almost instantly. however i'm stuck. since i was 15 i've wanted a Honda done up Brat style, i'm now twenty and have a bike. but it's so original with hardly any miles i hate to mess with it. on the other hand it's not my dream bike without really representing me and my passion for that brat look. Please your opinion would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
Keep it original and buy another cheap bike and customize it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ride the original one whilst you locate and customise another , scruffier bike. Then sell the good one and invest the money in the next customised one ;-)

Reactions: rrauen

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I would say leave it original. With that many miles and that good of condition... It would be a shame to cut it up. There are plenty of cheap CXs out there that are just asking for a makeover, but not to many in that condition in which you have

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your bike was found and sold by a Forum member so we have seen a few pictures of it. There are members from all over the world thousands of them. Many have very nicely restored bikes and many have and are customizing them as you will see on here. Your Bike is a very well engineered bike that is fussy about what is done to it. As an example, if you change the exhaust and reduce the restriction, say, two staight pipes with different mufflers you will get a drop in performance that requires further modifications. You can wind up with a showpiece that is just about unusable. The direction of the price of stock bike like yours is now on the upswing changing your bike is like drilling a hole in a rare coin taking it from mint to a curiosity. At least ride it you will find out how many people admire it for what it is.

1980 cx 500 deluxe that I wish was an easy total restoration

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
Looking at the for sale pictures I would probably take that fairing off as I think it may just bolt on and have the stock headlight under it but i'm not for sure. If you're in indiana you will have no trouble finding another titled bike in the midwest that you can modify till your hearts content.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Playing devil's advocate, its your bike, do as you wish.

Reactions: rrauen

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We never found out the details of its history so what did the seller tell you about that?
That is the most interesting thing about a bike like this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We never found out the details of its history so what did the seller tell you about that?
That is the most interesting thing about a bike like this.
yeah he told me that an older guy bought it for his wife and she always talked of riding it and would only ride it a few miles a year so every fall it would be winterized and spring it would be prepared for summer and this went on for the last 33 years. the same old man has a barn full of old equipment and trucks that look fresh off the line. the guy just enjoyed having a collection but started to get dementia so he got rid of it. thats the shortened version. i talked to him for a couple of hours, real cool guy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If it was me, well I wouldn't have bought it as a resto isn't my thing. If it's not your thing do with it as you want, or get it running nice, sell it on and use the money to build a nice cafe bike. I think you're better off starting with a bike that is being ridden anyway as that one is going to ned all the rubbers replaced anyway and who knows what else.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ride the original one whilst you locate and customise another , scruffier bike. Then sell the good one and invest the money in the next customised one ;-)
This would be my option. You still get to ride whilst working on your dream, meaning you will have more patience and do a better job as you will not be itching to ride it.
You will also get a feel for what things you would like to change.
And then you have the option of selling it for a premium, or you can keep it and enjoy having a very clean example.

Us Kiwis is clever ;p

Reactions: rrauen and troutbum

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it was me, well I wouldn't have bought it as a resto isn't my thing. If it's not your thing do with it as you want, or get it running nice, sell it on and use the money to build a nice cafe bike. I think you're better off starting with a bike that is being ridden anyway as that one is going to ned all the rubbers replaced anyway and who knows what else.

Cheers
Steve
this bike is itching to be ridden its runs flawlessly and there is no rot or crack, dried or damaged rubber. the only thing that needs to be done before it is ridden is tires, cause im not going to trust 33 year old tires, haha.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm gonna ring in here with my two cents worth. Please, please do not start cutting up that jewel! Ride it, love it, & buy a runner that needs some work to customize. when you get your project done, you can sell this one to someone who will preserve it. However I think I would lose that fairing & go with a windshield more to scale with the bike. I think you may find that you enjoy riding this stocker more than any customized bike that you might build.
Dan

·
Registered
841 Posts
Even in the age of the internet, that bike is a once in a lifetime find. Please don't #@^! it up.

If you only paid around $3K for it and you're having buyer's remorse, stick it on ebay and make a nice profit. You'll have that much more money to put towards what you want. Trying to sell it here (like the previous owner did) will only result in asinine comments such as it needing a ground up restoration.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I agree with the others who say restore the original.

Anyone can chop up a bike into a "brat" or "cafe", but it takes a whole different skill set to keep the bike in its showroom condition. These types are becoming rare and are increasing in demand and price.

Keep it original. Ride it. Find another bike in poor condition, hack on that one.

BTW, dump that fairing. It just doesnt look properly installed. The Custom has a very clean look without add ons.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts