Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in replacing my stock exhaust tips on my 78 CX500. Not really looking to overhaul the whole system and would ideally like to find some nice, sleek, smaller tips. (Hate the stock cone shape.) Most of the ones I have found make the bike sound louder and I would like to keep it quiet as possible, or at least at stock level. Looking for some veteran suggestions! Any advice would be appreciated!

Side note: If I could find aftermarket headers for a fair price that would improve performance I would go ahead and shell put the extra cash for them. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,295 Posts
A lot of us use original Harley mufflers. A lot of people buy Harleys and have the dealers install aftermarket ones before they even try it with the originals (because loud pipes make you go faster - but the real reason nobody is right behind you with them is because the sound is so annoying) so the dealers sometimes end up with boxes of them that none of their regular customers wand and the factory won't take back. You can still get them for as low as $10 each if you shop around and/or ask nicely at your local HD place.

If your original collector box (lives under the engine, commonly called "H box") is still in good shape you can connect them directly to it but if it needs replacement Murray sells "Quick Build" pipes to connect between the stock headers and your choice of muffler that are pre-bent to fit under the footpegs &c.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts