Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
Its actually 673cc. And the home market version of the GL650 was called GL700.. I've said this before: While it is conventional for the model number to indicate the engine's displacement there is no requirement for it to have any relationship with the displacement at all. The CB350 has a 235.6cc engine and one of the chain drive BMWs has an engine considerably larger than the model number.

What is more interesting about the 673cc engine is that it made more HP than the Harley V twin with double the displacement (1340cc) introduced at the about same time.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Its actually 673cc. And the home market version of the GL650 was called GL700.. I've said this before: While it is conventional for the model number to indicate the engine's displacement there is no requirement for it to have any relationship with the displacement at all. The CB350 has a 235.6cc engine and one of the chain drive BMWs has an engine considerably larger than the model number.

What is more interesting about the 673cc engine is that it made more HP than the Harley V twin with double the displacement (1340cc) introduced at the about same time.
Also interesting that even the 500 has more HP than most of the midrange Honda bikes listed above. Some of the longer stroked bikes have more torque. (the "V" fours are another matter for H.P..) When chatting on the other forums, owners seem to think it is because of newer emission standards. The Royal Enfield 650cc is
Horsepower42.5 hp @ 6,820 rpm
Torque37.5 lb.-ft. @ 5,010 rpm

Less H.P and about the same torque. We have a good engine. I enjoy the specs and numbers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have decided to keep both bikes and remove the fairing from one of them. I want to thank everyone for their input and opinions and thanks for the help in converting over to a naked bike.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
You mentioned windscreens. Both my Slipstreamer Turbo and Spitfire come off pretty easily. The 650 came with the Spitfire and I swapped it onto 500 and put the Turbo on the 650..
The Turbo worked well on the annual ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All this talk of; this & that vs this & that....

You’re all forgetting that the correct number of motorcycles is always N+1!

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
My favorite between the 500 and 650 seems to be the one I am riding at the time. ;)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts