Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for the help!

My 1980 CX500 Deluxe's original seat cover has finally split open so its time to get a new seat. I'm thinking this is a perfect opportunity to get a whole new seat instead of just getting a cover because I think the original fat seat is kinda ugly. Theres a local guy who could custom make me a new seat for upwards of $450 so I'm looking for a more economical option. What I found was a company called motorcycleseatsdirect.com and it looks like they are also on ebay. The ebay seller is here: daytrader-07 | eBay and one of the seats I was looking at on their website is here: 1978 - 1981 Cafe Racer Seat with Passenger Strap for Honda CX500 Deluxe Standard or CX400 Classic with modified seat pan #4152 - Motorcycle Seats Direct

My question is this: Does anyone have experience with these seats? What kind of quality can I expect? Can a friend and I easily chop the cross bar off and weld it back on with his MIG welder and not a ton of welding experience? If not these seats, where did you find yours?

Please no generalized comments about staying local or buying from overseas. I'm looking for first hand experience with these particular seats, and the mod required to use them, OR an alternate source for an economical pre-fab cx500 seat.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've used them. They're decent, not incredible, but decent. The welding is easy, I think, the steel that Honda used welds nicely with a mig, I didn't have any trouble and I'm not a highly experienced welder. I think there's some threads about them already on here, I know I chimed in on one or two when I was working on my rear frame. I'll see if I can copy and paste it here.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There were a few threads on this recently.

There were problems with the seat not following the lines of the frame.

I will try to find it and give it a bump.

Or a link this is a fairly common discussion.

My personal preference is to make or modify an existing pan and have a local

upholstery shop do the work .

Seeing and touching the materials and having choice make for a unique seat

and satisfaction of design through finished product.

One off is far better than a Korean cookie cutter product of unknown quantity and quality.

Not cheap either.

See "motorcycle seats direct "

1 - 4 of 4 Posts