Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I posted a couple of pictures of this bike a few months back when i first fitted the cafe seat.
Ive done a heap of K's riding the last few months and I really like this bike! It sounds great, is super reliable and people always comment on it. So before summer gets here I decided it needs a bit more love so I put it in the shed again last week to make a few more changes.

I painted a few more of the rough looking parts and the wheels with a few coats of satin black and fitted a set of firestones.

I know, i know... they dont handle, but its certainly not a sports bike and i love the look. I have had a set for my RD350 for years now.

I went with 18x4.5 on the rear which required a little bit of swing arm modification, and a 19x4.0 on the front, which required some front fender modification as well. I just slotted the bolt holes on the fender to allow it to move up about 5mm.

Im pretty happy with how it has turned out. What do you guys think?

Here is the big question-

I am debating weather or not I should paint the tank and side covers. possibly tan/mission brown, the same colour as the grips.

What do you think? I like the original paintwork but it definitely isnt perfect.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Awesome. I like the look as it sets. If the paint is bad enough that you want to paint it to protect the metal I understand, but a lite wet sanding and a couple of coats of clear would do a lot to protect the look of the bike. And the factory graphics are way cool in that bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The paint work isn't perfect...nor should it be (the rest of the bike is also perfectly not perfect) . The bike is 30+ years old. I love the blue color and the original Honda graphics. It is the reason the people comment on your bike IMO. Don't change it...my vote. BTW, my bike is '81 CX500D with original paint (black with gold and copper pinstripe). I must say i am a bit jealous of your blue paint.
Greg

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very nice!! Really like the look of it except the 2 into 1, but that's just me, I don't care for 2-1s on these bikes for some reason.

Love the blue tank and graphics, I got the pukey red on mine :^(

Is the seat a Dime ity? I looked at them for mine but it's a Custom with Standard tank combo so pre builts can be a bit of a PITA.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice Cafe, simple, clean, and still has factory touches. As much as i like the bike as it is, I agree that the color scheme screams for something toned down. I would love a copper colored paint scheme with all the browns and grays.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love the 2 into 1. Did you make it or have it welded up by someone...I'd love to get the same look with mine!

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Few would have their original mufflers. I beleive they were cheap rubbish with a horrible note. Mine is fitted with a straight through harley muffler I welded a baffle into the end of and stuff with chicken wire for baffling. Real hi tech but it gives a nice note and is easily and cheaply replaced when need be.

Sadly, this muffler which was second hand when I fitted it 5 years ago is now on its way out. Can't complain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Howdy! I shopped a mock-up for you in earth-tones, with a few ideas to clean up the look.

Other than changing the color, this is what I'd suggest:
-tuck the side cover behind the frame curve (difficult) or cut it to follow the frame curve (easy but choppy) or make your own side covers out of whatever. Hardwood? Traffic sign? Copper? The original side covers don't really look like anything else on the bike, design-wise. I'll bet you can do better!
-trim or bend the bottom of the seat pan to follow the line of the frame. That cool fuel tank stripe is intended to follow the line of the frame from a side view, but the seat pan and side cover are blocking the line!
(edit) well, the frame doesn't really follow the line of the frame, it bends upward as it rises toward the fuel tank. Perhaps the seat pan could be extended to meet the fuel tank stripe and hide the frame's shenanigans? I shoulda' gone out and stared at mine before I suggested that. A straight line from the rear frame curve to the tank stripe would be beautiful.
-smooth the weld transition from the frame curve to the rear fender/seat rail. This means careful filing, bondo, and paint...but it really improves one of the problem areas of the CX design.
-darken the edges of the side cover to dark matte brown or black. Those plastic edges never look anything but plasticky. Matte black tool-handle dip gives a nice thick rubbery surface and weathers well.
-darken the edge/skirt of the fuel tank the same way.
-if you keep the side covers, that fake grille at the bottom looks fake. Make it into a better fake by cutting real slots into it, then back the slots with flat black screen material. You might even get more air to the electronical doonannies.

It's a fine job you're doing, could you talk a bit about that muffler under the wrap? What is it? Is it loud or quiet? Where'd you get it?
I'm still gathering ideas for my build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for the feedback guys, just what I wanted to hear.. It seems like your opinions are divided.. Like mine. Haha

I am certainly leaning towards a colour change, but will definitely be keeping tank graphics the same as the originals as they do look great and create a great line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the seat a Dime ity? I looked at them for mine but it's a Custom with Standard tank combo so pre builts can be a bit of a PITA.
Hi mate, the seat is an eBay purchase.. I think it came from Thailand. It's a fibreglass seatpan with pretty thick and quality vinyl. It seems to be exactly the same as the dime city one, as a friend of mine has the dime city on his BSA.

I had a sheet metal seatpan bent up by a shop to support the fibreglass and disguise the big dip in the frame. There are a lot of good seat options I have found since that don't require anything extra to cover up the frame dip, like the one used by wrenchmonkees or moto mucci. Maybe check them out if you haven't already..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of exhaust/muffler is that?
Hi, I'm pretty sure the exhaust is a mac. It doesn't have anything written on it though. The muffler is a straight through hot dog style from modern motorcycle company in Melbourne. It has a small baffle and is welded to the headers just after the y section.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Few would have their original mufflers. I beleive they were cheap rubbish with a horrible note. Mine is fitted with a straight through harley muffler I welded a baffle into the end of and stuff with chicken wire for baffling. Real hi tech but it gives a nice note and is easily and cheaply replaced when need be.

Sadly, this muffler which was second hand when I fitted it 5 years ago is now on its way out. Can't complain.
Yeah that's right... Mine had the original muffler when I bought it, and I tried a few things to get it sounding good, like removing the baffle- way too loud, drilled holes in the baffle- too tinny, cut baffle in half- sounded rubbish.

The muffler I went with sounds great, and I love the compact look of it too. It probably is a harley rip off actually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howdy! I shopped a mock-up for you in earth-tones, with a few ideas to clean up the look.

Other than changing the color, this is what I'd suggest:
-tuck the side cover behind the frame curve (difficult) or cut it to follow the frame curve (easy but choppy) or make your own side covers out of whatever. Hardwood? Traffic sign? Copper? The original side covers don't really look like anything else on the bike, design-wise. I'll bet you can do better!
-trim or bend the bottom of the seat pan to follow the line of the frame. That cool fuel tank stripe is intended to follow the line of the frame from a side view, but the seat pan and side cover are blocking the line!
(edit) well, the frame doesn't really follow the line of the frame, it bends upward as it rises toward the fuel tank. Perhaps the seat pan could be extended to meet the fuel tank stripe and hide the frame's shenanigans? I shoulda' gone out and stared at mine before I suggested that. A straight line from the rear frame curve to the tank stripe would be beautiful.
-smooth the weld transition from the frame curve to the rear fender/seat rail. This means careful filing, bondo, and paint...but it really improves one of the problem areas of the CX design.
-darken the edges of the side cover to dark matte brown or black. Those plastic edges never look anything but plasticky. Matte black tool-handle dip gives a nice thick rubbery surface and weathers well.
-darken the edge/skirt of the fuel tank the same way.
-if you keep the side covers, that fake grille at the bottom looks fake. Make it into a better fake by cutting real slots into it, then back the slots with flat black screen material. You might even get more air to the electronical doonannies.

It's a fine job you're doing, could you talk a bit about that muffler under the wrap? What is it? Is it loud or quiet? Where'd you get it?
I'm still gathering ideas for my build.
Mate! Thanks for the help! You have made my decision about paint pretty easy... That looks heaps better. I like your ideas too.

The side covers need to stay in my opinion, as they are the only thing that follows the downward line of the bottom of the tank. If they are removed I think the tank looks like it's totally out of place... Unless you go all out and modify the tank to sit level (which would look good). I do agree that the edges look plastic and cheap. I will have a go at putting them behind the frame like you said.

As I said to the guys above, the muffler is from modern motorcycle company in Melbourne. Check them out, they have great stuff. It's a 300mm straight through harley style, with a small baffle. It's quite loud, but not offensive. It's welded straight to the back of the headers right behind the y section. If you want any more info or pics just let me know.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
The side covers need to stay in my opinion, as they are the only thing that follows the downward line of the bottom of the tank. If they are removed I think the tank looks like it's totally out of place... Unless you go all out and modify the tank to sit level (which would look good). I do agree that the edges look plastic and cheap. I will have a go at putting them behind the frame like you said.
If you can find a pair of 500 Custom side covers, they use the same mounting points, but expose more of the frame.

R

1 - 20 of 22 Posts