Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the CX500 just curious what is the "NORMAL" operating temperature ? Tachometer Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part

This is where mine runs.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I asked my mechanic this and he said anywhere between the left change of the white part, and below the red part. Seems to me a pretty wide temp swing- and the sensor becomes more sensitive if its cleaned up. Mine was crapped up and read "cooler" then it was cleaned when I had some engine work done and the temp went up and I became concerned. But not quite concerned enough to consider building and putting in a new 7 volt regulator that's better than the factory original. But mine hasn't gone that high, however so your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
How long has yours been running like that?? That is a little on the high side, anywhere in the middle would be good but that is very close to red.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
that looks a bit high to me - how long does it stay at that level - or is that the normal operating temperature?

I'd be checking the coolant level and /or changing it out - or checking the thermostat... is the coolant circultaing ?

how long from starting does it take to get to that level

I also note the bike is running at 3500 rpm?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I took a head reading. It measured 182F (83C). I know if I sat in traffic on a hot day, it would be higher than that. Could be the 7 volt regulator is bad. A laser temperature gun would confirm if overheating or not. I know when a cx gets hot, a lot of times a funny knock comes along with it. And the smell of hot sweet anti-freeze.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that looks a bit high to me - how long does it stay at that level - or is that the normal operating temperature?

This is normal operating temp.

I'd be checking the coolant level and /or changing it out - or checking the thermostat... is the coolant circultaing ?

5 miles

Yeah my idle is high the idle screw under the carbs does nothing need to dig in to that this weekend.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mike,

you need to get the idle down - stuck cables or stuck accelerator linkage somewhere...

is the choke stuck on ?

or the bike could also be running really lean - I mean by that you have a bad air leak from the inlet side..

what is the radiator level ??

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

I'd be checking the coolant level and /or changing it out - or checking the thermostat... is the coolant circulating ?

I agree. Possible low coolant level.

Also search the Wiki. http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/home

Here's a list of items to check when you just get a http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/New+Bike+Checklist

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Check the 7V regulator first. Measure the voltage between ground and the sender unit wire (wire MUST be OFF the sender for a proper reading). If its not 7V then either its bad or there is a wiring issue with it. Post the voltage you get and we can go from there, as I would be worried if my bike read that high.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well, today I put my pull behind trailer on my CX500, rode 130 miles round trip, and my needle was a roughly a needles width higher than it normally is going up- and it stayed that way the whole trip.

Not suprising- put the bike, trailer, hard panners, 65 pounds of ballast,,,,and a Washington State Patrol trucking scale that was closed measured all of us together at 980 pounds. I'll post more later

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My coolant was low the over flow bottle was full but was very dirty. Discovered the tubes to the over flow bottle were clogged. Did a complete flush of the coolant system. Running between the E&M now on the photo. Thanks for your in put.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Being new to the CX500 just curious what is the "NORMAL" operating temperature ? View attachment 4363

This is where mine runs.

Cheers
Mike
That is a tad high for normal, but a lot has to do with the ambients in your area. On a really hot day, that's not out of line, but typically, if moving at speed, it should be closer to the center, or a tad above. I have had mine get near/hit the red line in crappy stop and go traffic on hot days, but it settles down after moving. E fans can help this. Nice looking gauge though....

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
800 Posts
Having just done the E-Fan on both the GL and CX this spring, I did a bit of testing to determine actual engine temps/gauge readings at various operating conditions. On my bikes with clean systems new thermostats, 7V regs with correct outputs all connections clean and tight. this is what I found to be fairly consistent with both bike yours will most likely be slightly different but should be in the ball park.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Having just done the E-Fan on both the GL and CX this spring, I did a bit of testing to determine actual engine temps/gauge readings at various operating conditions. On my bikes with clean systems new thermostats, 7V regs with correct outputs all connections clean and tight. this is what I found to be fairly consistent with both bike yours will most likely be slightly different but should be in the ball park.

Slim

Excellent post and illustration!

With your permission, could we put this in the Wiki?

·
Registered
369 Posts
That looks high to me. Mine runs with the needle centered right at the intersection from the narrow white band to the wide white band (needle almost straight down). If I am stopped on a red light and it is hot, the needle moves about 1/16" into the wide white band - but comes back as soon I start moving.
The water temp used to never come up at all, even when riding hard. I took the cooling system apart and found a disassembled thermostat sitting in pieces in it's housing. It was permanently open. Changed the thermostat and all is good now:D.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Last summer, my temps stayed awfully high. Referencing Slim's image above, 194 to 197. At the end of summer, the temps seemed to be inching upward even further. Something prompted me to check the fan - and it was lying in pieces at the bottom of the radiator shroud.

I did the E-fan conversion, using a radiator and fan from a GL650 found on Ebay. At the same time, I switched to a new 180 degree thermostat, and a 180 degree switch for the fan. Now - I don't even SEE my needle until the bike warms up. At the warmest, the needle swings all the way to the first little block beside the "C". I'd probably have to be stuck in city traffic for it to ever get up above 180, and cause the fan to kick in.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

Beginning of the red line is 225F at the end of the red line is 235F. Either place, you do not want to be in.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Beginning of the red line is 225F at the end of the red line is 235F. Either place, you do not want to be in.
Why not ??
It' depends on the mixture coolant/water. 40/60, 50/50, 60/40....
and the pressure in the coolant system
I try to remember it can increase up to 1.05 bar then the rad cover overpressure valve will open to the coolant reservoir.

But You are generally right: The red line is a dangerous line.
Always a good warning sign: There is something wrong with the coolant system...... or the 7Volt regulator ;-))

Gruesse
WolFgang

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I only had mine get that close to the red line once (stuck in nasty traffic before I did the E-Fan mod), and never want to see it there again. Remember, while the coolant system fluid may be at 200 deg, the cylinder wall sleeve is a hell of a lot hotter, and the higher the coolant temp, the less heat it can bleed from the sleeve .... until you get pistons seizing up. Like my E-fan, never ever goes more then 1/8" past the white thin/thick spot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts