Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a deluxe tank from an online salvage yard. it came in today but has no key. any way to open it without destroying the cap? i emailed them back to see if they have the key

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind guys, it opened easily with a screwdriver

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
On the locking Deluxe tank, the strike is a loop of wire. You may be able to extract it from under the cap cover using a flat tool or hook. I think it pulls out from the left side, but I'm not certain. The latch itself may prevent it being extracted, too.

Otherwise, if the seller can give you the key code off another part of the bike, you can have a key cut.

R

·
Registered
106 Posts
nevermind guys, it opened easily with a screwdriver

On my old deluxe tank --I actually was able to use a BLANK toyota key---dont know why or how it worked but it did--Thats what it came with when I bought it a few years back and it never worked with anything else--the bike even started with the blank....strange---Ive since switched tanks and ignitions so its no longer an issue....

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
I don't think the "lock" is really keyed, probably anything that goes into the slot will open it.
At least some of the Deluxes have an actual locking cap cover. Not the Standard, though. It's just a latch.

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.