Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a hurry this morning. Forgot something, stopped in the driveway(Gravel), put down the kick stand, bike in neutral, left bike running to warm up. Driveway is a slight down grade. Yep you guessed it, I came out to find my bike on it's side. Farging barginsnargin. Crumpled left mirror, scuffed the fairing but no scrapes, or scratches. I hate mondays.........

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
In a hurry this morning. Forgot something, stopped in the driveway(Gravel), put down the kick stand, bike in neutral, left bike running to warm up. Driveway is a slight down grade. Yep you guessed it, I came out to find my bike on it's side. Farging barginsnargin. Crumpled left mirror, scuffed the fairing but no scrapes, or scratches. I hate mondays.........

Sounds like you have had better Mondays. At least you were not on it when it fell over!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Nah, everyone in my area knows better. There's a real good reason I'm called Da Bear. 3 of them really.

.357, .44, and .45?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.357, .44, and .45?
Nah, I don't like guns, they make too much noise. If I'm going to kill someone, they'll never hear me. No there are three things you don't want to do to a bear.

1. Wake it up

2. Piss it off (See no.1)

3. Get between it, and food

·
Registered
223 Posts
Would you believe it happened to me twice! Left it running in my driveway with the front wheel chocked for it to roll off the side stand.

Broke the front left indicator, so I put it back on the side stand and went to get a replacement from my parts bike.

When I returned it had fallen off the side stand again, bending the handle bar this time.

It finally got through to me not to leave the bike on the side stand on a downhill slope.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sounds like you have had better Mondays. At least you were not on it when it fell over!

Saturday my wife managed to drop her bike as we were leaving on a day trip. I was alread half a block up the road when I looked in my mirror to see her laying on the ground with her bike down as well. I did a quick u turn and got the bike up before gas leaked all over. Fortunately, she was o.k., so was my wife. lol. She was mad at her self most of the day, but it happens. I dropped mine twice last year, but I'm not telling her that. lol.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Saturday my wife managed to drop her bike as we were leaving on a day trip. I was alread half a block up the road when I looked in my mirror to see her laying on the ground with her bike down as well. I did a quick u turn and got the bike up before gas leaked all over. Fortunately, she was o.k., so was my wife. lol. She was mad at her self most of the day, but it happens. I dropped mine twice last year, but I'm not telling her that. lol.

I managed to drop my bike three times since I bought it in 2008. Fortunately all three times were in the first 6-8 months. I put a lot of time and thought into why I ended up on my ass and have managed to avoid doing it any more since.

The things I know: 1) It's heavy and more specifically, top-heavy. Once it starts over your reaction better be instant or you won't be able to stop it. 2) Parking lots and driveways are dangerous places for that bike. That's the only places I ever have dropped mine. Coincidence? I think not. 3) Parking on a slope is fraught with peril. I'll go find another space on a flat before I park on a slant, even if it requires me to move to the next parking lot. 4) Picking one up is a bitch. I've seen the videos on how to do it but haven't dropped it since so my earlier efforts involved lots of heave-ho and grunting.

Here is a link to the best video on how to pick a fallen bike back up.

Most of the other ones I've seen start with some fat ass touring bike on its "side" but they never seem to lean over any more than 45 degrees. This video shows a Harley laying FLAT on its side much like our bikes do. The female rider gets it back up on its stand by herself. If she can do it, we ought to be able to as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine has been over twice this year, once on the left, and once on the right. Both times it was in my driveway. First time heavy rainstorm, on sidestand, it sunk in and went over. Had to replace the left blinker and clutch lever. I was lucky to have a brand new one in the garage for a 71 CB350 - fit perfectly.

Last week, it was on the center stand (I thought I'd learned)... again, heavy rainstorm and the right-half of the center stand sunk in and over it went. Right blinker and mirror busted. Have the blinker, waiting for the mirror to come from eBay.

Now it's on the center stand on a metal plate. What I really need to do is finish the projects in the garage and get my parking space back.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had a heck of a time getting my wife's bike back up. She managed to dump in the ditch so it was on an incline and I had a hard time getting a hold on anything so I could lift it. The two times I dropped my bike it was on level ground and it was easy to get back up. I guess I should tell her if she's going to drop it again, do it on level ground. lol.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks Shep for the link. Thats a great lesson.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've used/practised it on one of my CX with a near empty fuel tank and a big old square cushion for safety that I cover with a bin-bag for kneeling on when working on my bikes.It works

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts