Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
So I got my bike running after it sat and rotted for 2 years. The bike is only firing on one cylinder though. The right hand cylinder is the culprit. Getting spark and fuel. Time to see a mechanic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkwGqBpXqk

How are you sure it is getting spark and fuel? Did you teardown the carbs and completely rebuild and clean them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you sure it is getting spark and fuel? Did you teardown the carbs and completely rebuild and clean them?

Checked for spark at the plug, and fuel because the plug was wet. The carbs were completely done.

Test the compression on both cylinders.

You need 3 things to run the engine:

1. Spark

2. Fuel

3. Compression

I was able to pick up a $15 (20% off) compression tester at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-66216.html

The compression tester I used was kinda wacky, the needle never held the value, but both sides are over 100.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Try blasting a shot of starting fluid into the air cleaner nozzle. See if it fires then. My bet is on that the carbs are not done yet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
These carbs are somewhat hard to clean properly... I had to do it a few times before I was satisfied with the results!

-Brendan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or it is getting way too much fuel. When I removed my carbs last weekend I found a main jet just hanging out in the float bowl. :/

I took them off to install larger jets.

Yeah, I'm doing the 90/120 swap aswell. I was planning on waiting til I got the 2-1 installed but not sure what to do. Feel pretty crappy lol. Re-installing and hooking up the cables was tedious.

Oh well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could this have anything to do with running fuel into the carbs via funnel instead of using the petcock?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Just a thought I had when reading this thread. Try this on the cylinder that is not firing. Pull the plug cap off the plug and hold it slightly away from the plug while cranking the engine. I don't know why this works but when my bike tries to only run on one cylinder I do this and after a few moments it will begin to fire on both cylinders.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts