Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. After months of development, thousands of lines of code and at least a half dozen people testing it out the online stator diagnostic tool is ready to be released!

In a nutshell, it’s a page where you input your bike’s serial number and your stator’s resistance readings and it should spit out a diagnosis. The serial number is necessary so that the program knows which range to use for your results. This harks back to an idea Murray had back in the Wiki thread, and he and CXPHREAK have been the CX brains behind the tool while my wife and I have provided the platform and coding.

At this stage Murray I and expect to be monitoring the first hundred results or so just to make sure everything is going to plan. This process involves opening a second page to send us the results, which will be disabled once it’s all clear. It's slightly annoying but very temporary.

Please try it out with your bike’s readings and see if it all makes sense and is clear enough. At some point we will set up validation in the fields so that you can’t actually enter letters in the resistance reading fields and get bogus readings but there’s a note telling you not to do that up the top in the meantime.

Thanks to Murray, CXPHREAK and everyone who was asked by Murray to test it.

Link:

Stator Test - Honda CX500

Comments and feedback welcomed. It's mobile friendly - I have been using it on my iPhone whilst at the bike to plug the numbers in straight away - saves writing them down. I do intend on tweaking it a bit to be easier to read but that's something I'll fiddle with once I get some more things off my plate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks to all for this easy-to-use tool. FYI: the program showed I was out of limits for 2/5 (+6 @ 105), but did not indicate I was over the 7/5 limits by 5 ohms (230). Is +/- 5 the allowable tolerance? Also, would it be possible to identify what the symptoms or consequences of being out of limits would be? For example, "Failure at 1/5 could cause loss of power at low RPM (or something else)..."

Great job and thanks again.
Bob

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If this works as stated it should be made a sticky post.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
we will be adding some diagnosis outputs as we get the emails of results

and yes this will be permanently installed and be searchable under stator test

the main drive of this is to give everyone the ability to do this test and get results without posting results and waiting for sometimes unclear answers

it will eventually also allow you to order a ignitec or at least go on the order list to help cobram out with group buys

i want to personally thank jc his wife and cxphreak for working with me to get this crazy idea out of my head down in code and working

it has been a lot of work for them and taken months of steps

and it is now a useable tool for us all thanks

NOW for that charging system diagnostic tool (coming soon)

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to reference the engine serial number? This would help folks evaluate a donor engine before they make a swap.

EDIT: Sorry. Just took a look, and I see that it does ask for the engine number.

I've just installed a new stator in the Grub, but I'll plug in the last readings from the old one, once I dig up my frame number. I have another old engine I can test, too.

R

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. Getting a lot of results where people are entering CX500E-20xxxxx etc. into the serial box after already selecting CX500E for the type. I've edited the page to make it more clear that the radio button selection forms the first part of the serial and that the box for entering a number should be the number only.

Hopefully the edit (perhaps not the above description...) makes it more clear :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
What a great tool....

Thanks for taking the time to do it!!

Although the result wasn't what I wanted to hear, it is a good tool for diagnosis...

Any idea when the next group by for the Ignitec will be?

Apparently I need one... LOL I already have my name on the list...

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
382 Posts
and readings are to be done with a digital meter I assume. an analog will give different readings on an a circuit with a solid stated devise. I'm guessing thats at least part of why you made it

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My hat´s off for those involved! This will make it simple for anyone to diagnose their "CDI-type" stator.

Only one little "but":

If those two alternativ readings - I suppose it´s about the source coil(s) - are related to certain manufacturing engine number series - how about those engines that have already had their stators rewound? Maybe a note about that?

I believe there are two slightly different value tables for CDI unit testing (gold VX black CDI unit). Do they correspond to the different coil measurements mentioned in the manuals? It´s said you can swap gold and black CDI units as you wish.

??

/Sture

·
Super Moderator
21,149 Posts
My hat´s off for those involved! This will make it simple for anyone to diagnose their "CDI-type" stator.

Only one little "but":

If those two alternativ readings - I suppose it´s about the source coil(s) - are related to certain manufacturing engine number series - how about those engines that have already had their stators rewound? Maybe a note about that?

I believe there are two slightly different value tables for CDI unit testing (gold VX black CDI unit). Do they correspond to the different coil measurements mentioned in the manuals? It´s said you can swap gold and black CDI units as you wish.

??

/Sture
Sture, am trying to gather stator resistances for aftermarket stators now and it may be worth checking these if the stator is out of spec but appears to have been opened at some point. I doubt if it's reasonable to expect the test to figure out what type of stator the bike has but JC and his wife have already worked wonders.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I doubt if it's reasonable to expect the test to figure out what type of stator the bike has

I didn´t mean exactly that. What I was wondering about is if the different values for golden and black CDI units originally corresponded to the two different measure value ranges for the stators.
I believe the Haynes´manual says "for some engines, unknown which, there are alternative values for the source coils". Something like that, if memory serves. I don´t have a manual near me, right now, so can´t tell exactly.

I believe I´ve come across both types of stators in my bikes but have only had black CDI units, so wonder how and if there´s a connection at all. And it´s said you can swap CDI units as you wish - gold or black doesn´t matter.

/Sture

·
Super Moderator
21,149 Posts
I doubt if the two are connected Sture. IIRC the gold CDI units are from the earliest models and then they were black.

The stators with different 5/9 resistances are without rhyme or reason, seeming to end out several model runs. See FSM note, bottom of page 17-5.

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sture, am trying to gather stator resistances for aftermarket stators now and it may be worth checking these if the stator is out of spec but appears to have been opened at some point. I doubt if it's reasonable to expect the test to figure out what type of stator the bike has but JC and his wife have already worked wonders.
I think that given a list of the differences in readings it would be possible to have an additional IF statement for out-of-range readings, so that the message provided was "this isn't in-spec for the original stator but it would be in spec for an Electrosport stator, should you have one of those" or something along those lines.

I really hope that it's not every reading that's different, heh, or that is going to be a lengthy addition!

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
jc we wont want to do much more than a simple warning MAYBE

as the normal reading for that 500 ohm one is also a common fail reading for the honda one

so we will have to post some pictures of the non stock types along with there peculiar reading

people will have to id them visually

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I checked with my FSM and found some (strange) writing about those different source coil readings. It seems mostly early bikes were affected (frame numbers with "0" as second digit. But also "2" which seems strange. Should mean that the first year model and the third one were affected.

??

/Sture

P.S. I also measured a fried stator I have floating around. High speed source coil gives infinite reading. The test seemed to tell me the same thing - it´s toast. Not bad!! :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts