Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you/will you ride in weather like that? Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 90's with a heat index of near 100 and Thursday is supposed to be even worse with actual temps of nearly 100. I'm debating whether to take the cx or the truck, the morning rides just great but the 30-40 minute ride homes gonna suck. What's it take for you to choose driving over riding?

·
Registered
115 Posts
From a medical standpoint do not take the bike, once the air temperature is above 98, no matter how fast you are moving you will only heat up, the wind will not help. Once you start reaching temps at or above your body temperature, the only way to cool down is really just going inside, or drinking a lot of cool water. Sweating and the expanding blood vessels near the surface of our skin, which is our natural temperature regulators actually start doing more harm than good.

If you do ride, be very weary of heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
well back in arizona i used to ride in temps that were around 128 yes i just said 128 here so far its been around 105 and i am just in my leathers and full face helmet and still am riding but i am worried about the humidity thats supposed to be coming soon......

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,089 Posts
It hit 103 F in Minneapolis today. The ambient temp was such that I didn't need any choke to start the Grub to ride home. (And it was only 99, by then.)

R

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
in a months time,ill be coming to the end of my prolonged riding season for a while.the bike goes to bed before 2pm.

this weekend inland will be 96f.

made the mistake last year of going well inland,went early,on a cloudy day,thinking it was ok.nope

2pm the clouds broke and the temperature rocketed to 56c.expansion within the tank blew the fnv,s.

one is supposed to get older and wiser.
so,i wont be getting caught with my pants down this year.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
132 F!! That's insane, definitely not for me. I decided to go with the truck, call me a wimp or a girly-man but over 95 F is just too much. If I was comfortable riding in short sleeves and shorts than maybe I'd do it, but as it is I have to sit at work all day in an 85 deg room, no A/C for me unless i'm in my truck.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well back in arizona i used to ride in temps that were around 128 yes i just said 128 here so far its been around 105 and i am just in my leathers and full face helmet and still am riding but i am worried about the humidity thats supposed to be coming soon......

i miss that desert heat. it's dry, and feels like coastal high 80s.

here in NJ, it's supposed to pass 98 today and 100 tomorrow. with the humidity, it's nasty and uncomfortable.

hell, it's still morning here, and already 86.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What's it take for you to choose driving over riding?

It takes drowsiness. Working 3a-3p, getting off work and going home to do more work, so I'm regularly getting 4(ish) hours of sleep.(for the last 3 weeks and probably the next 2 weeks...) I wake up and my eyes are so tired I put my glasses on instead of my contacts.

That, and because I'm so tired I'm moving but not very fast in the morning- and there's deer and other critters crossing the road in front of me. I don't want to risk it on two wheels.

Every morning I think about it, and decide against it in the state of mind I am in at that point. Every afternoon it's been close to 100 (plus or minus a couple of degrees) and I mentally kick myself every day because I'm driving home instead of riding.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's hot and humid like that everyday here and I ride to and from work. At least it's a little cooler (90 F) in the morning but in the evening by the time I get home I smell like a sheep herder carrying a goat under each arm.

Buying a swimming pool today, though. Life's good in South Central Texas!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dakota,

12 hour work shifts? That's rough once or twice, but conterminously for weeks must be hell. Not only is 4 hours of sleep not enough to make you feel ok, its not enough to keep you healthy if it keeps up.

Git,

I wish it was in the 50's here, how much longer do you have that weather over there?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Dakota,

12 hour work shifts? That's rough once or twice, but conterminously for weeks must be hell. Not only is 4 hours of sleep not enough to make you feel ok, its not enough to keep you healthy if it keeps up.

kingston,

76 hrs this week, 76 last week, 60 the week before. Next 2 weeks are looking to be 76 hr weeks as well. That's not including any homework, regular household upkeep or the projects I have going on at home. OK, and I must add the uncertain bike issue I experienced recently makes me leery.... but I'm not thinking about that at all that early in the morning.

I have a couple of vacation days scheduled next month. I might take one of the bikes and a book, and go sit by the river for the day. IDK... these long hours should be ending in the next couple of weeks and by that time my landscaping should be done and from the overtime alone I'll be able to put a fence around the back yard. That's my motivation.

I just do not trust my reaction time on a bike with everything I've seen close to/ in the road in recent weeks @ that time of morning. When I'm leaving work it's bright and sunny- no problem, I'm already awake. When I'm heading in TO work.... still half asleep it feels like. Home/ work are pretty close to each other so the heat doesn't play a factor at all in if I'm gonna ride to work

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
For me rain, sleet, snow, or being groggy for any reason will make me take the truck.

I am not that experienced and I do not want to learn the hard way. I am old (41) and fat (~220 or 225) and do not want to have to heal up from a fall.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't let some of the other guys hear ya! 41 isn't that old on this board!! LOL

My nine yr old will proudly tell you that I am ancient

;0

so that is my basis for comparison.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Don't let some of the other guys hear ya! 41 isn't that old on this board!! LOL
we have a member,that posted not long ago,in his 80,s and still rideing his 500.

sweet

·
Registered
227 Posts
When it gets hot and muggy like it has been here of late? My cycles stay in the garage and my minivan and its splendid A/C get a workout.

I've done hot, I've done wet, I've done hot and wet. I don't need to prove to myself that I can do it more - LOL

Looks like Saturday and Sunday will be in the 70s and dry, so one or both bikes will see the sunshine once again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.