Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My name is Doug and i've been a member of the forum for approx 1 1/2 years, hard to believe it's been that long. I recieved this bike as a "gift" from my brother, he knew i wanted a bike and thought he was doing me a favor. Well my free bike included a 1,000 mile round trip to get it, that's ok, needed to visit him and his wife anyway. Here is is a pic of the first look we (my wife and i) got at it in person. The reason I've titled the thread as "On the Fence" is i've found some things that are discouraging to me and i'm not sure if it's worth it to try and rebuild it or not. I'm looking to the great people of the forum to help guide/encourage me if its worth it or not, PLEASE let me know your thoughts on this as you peruse the thread.

IMG_8139.JPG

Here are the pics he sent me before we went down.

IMG_6103.JPG IMG_6105.JPG IMG_6107.JPG IMG_6110.JPG IMG_6116.JPG

And there was a spare frame and some other spares. I didn't have a bike so WTH, right? In hindsight, i didn't pick the bike, it picked me.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the bike and all the spares were loaded up and headed to Beverly, er ah Dayton, OH.

IMG_6130.JPG

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since life happens, I didn't actually get to start working on it until this February.

IMG_2008e.jpg IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2088e.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first good thing is the engine was not locked up, Yeah! Then reality started to rear it's ugly head for a 42 year old motorcycle that was not garaged kept (even though that is what i was told in the beginning of this saga).

I looked in the tank, not good. I'm hoping some method of cleaning will work and it will be solid enough to not have a pleathora of holes in it when i'm done attempting to clean it.

tank.PNG

Plug boots shot.

IMG_6212.JPG IMG_6214.JPG

Plugs aren't looking the best.

IMG_2010.JPG

And then it goes down hill from there, what compression???

IMG_2042.PNG IMG_2043.PNG

Oh, this may be the issue for the "low" compression>

IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2158.JPG

Can these valve seats/heads be saved? Please chime in and let me know your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stator failed on a couple of numbers, don't have a pic of the results at hand but may be able to find one still and i will add it if i find it. Well the bad news isn't over yet. I know the cam is a two piece unit that is pressed together (or held together with loctite?) but i'm not sure it's supposed to look like this.

IMG_2251.JPG

I now surmise that is why this bike was abandoned. The water pump cover bolts were all loose when i started taking it apart and there was no acorn nut, washer or impeller inside the cover, then i discovered the unconventional "two piece" cam... :cry:

But wait, there's more.

IMG_2248.JPG

Cracked threaded boss for the timing chain bracket. Speaking of the timing chain, i was super surprised that the guides (and presumably the chain) had been changed already. That was something i for sure thought would be shot and i've read there are no NOS parts available and the remans are not that good so i was sweating that the whole time but never even thought about the other stuff i would find wrong. Sorry no pics of the guides but they look pretty good. Who knows how many miles they have on them? Can anyone tell how much time is left on that chain by looking at the adjustment left? Please let me know what you think.

IMG_2191.JPG

Although the old chain had hit the end of it's life way before it was changed, i didn't see any signs of aluminium shavings in the sump so that is good. But come to think of it that is probably why the timing chain bracket boss is cracked, the PO used copious amounts of thread locker and/or the wrong kind?

IMG_2190.JPG

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is where i stand now, pretty much all torn down, still some sub assemblies together though.

IMG_2273e.jpg

My plan of action now is to get everything apart and measure everything to verify if the components are in or out of spec according to the FSM, unless someone else has a better idea? I'm pretty mechanical but this is my first time to the rodeo doing a complete tear down on a bike.

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Personally, I'd fix it. As long as the crank and bearings are good it shouldn't be too bad.

What is the damage around the tensioner?

Those valves should regrind fit to use even if they don't come up pristine.

I often start with worse. ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I'd fix it. As long as the crank and bearings are good it shouldn't be too bad.

What is the damage around the tensioner?
The threaded boss that holds the backing plate for the manual cam chain tensioner is cracked in two
Those valves should regrind fit to use even if they don't come up pristine.
What is the general procedure for that, is it worth a DIY or farm it out?
I often start with worse. ;)
What about the broken cam?

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark,

Don't know if you saw the other items i mentioned in your quote, they are in bold text.

Again, i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Murray,

I check on craigslist from time to time and haven't seen one yet that was a '78. What years will the engine parts interchange with the '78 500?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do the engine parts interchange with the 82 also but just not the ignition?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just put a CX500 motor in my GL500 bike last winter and had to use the complete rear housing and associated parts from the old GL motor. It was all a perfect fit. The only other thing I had to swap was the thermostat cover because the water neck was facing a different direction.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good thing you have some spares laying around i assume?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts