Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my good friend just purchased a 1981 Honda cx500c, When you use the on off switch, it blows the fuse it is connected too? does this mean the switch is bad, I am puzzled? any clues

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You mean the key switch?

Did it have this problem when he bought the bike? I wonder if the previous owner may have changed the ignition switch with an incorrect one.

If the switch is original it is time to get out the multi meter and start hunting a short.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
You have a short. Somewhere a wire that shouldn't is touching the frame or other item. Inspect the wires. Especially the ones in the headlight bucket for bare metal that might be touching the headlight bucket.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Didn't I see this post yesterday. Check over your wiring harness for bar wires or wires on the frame. You have a short.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My first thought is a short to ground in the starting circuit. Possibly in the starter button switch, but could be anywhere. Solenoid is another possible culprit, as is the starter itself. I would start by checking to make sure the fault isn't in the switch. Other forum members are much more learned than I though, so hopefully someone who knows more than I will chime in.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Didn't I see this post yesterday. Check over your wiring harness for bar wires or wires on the frame. You have a short.

I think that's cause it was only posted 15 minutes ago. My first guess is the same as yours - the short (if it is a short) is likely going to be in an area where things move a bit. Either at the switch itself, or somewhere near the steering stock - where the wires are bundled, and move everytime you move the handlebars. Just a guess, but that's where I'd look first.

Also check the starter solenoid. Look for any evidence of sparking or melted wires. Something that is blowing a 30 amp main fuse - has to be getting pretty hot first.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.