Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well still taking things apart, and I'm beginning to wonder if I got a pig in a poke? Center valve cover gaskets were welded on w/ silicone. At least the drain holes were clear. Getting ready to start putting things back together. Just wish I had a "test" platform to try this engine before it goes in a real bike?? Time, money, hobbies, old farts with nothing better to do I guess?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I generally do that. It saves problems with out of place rings on assembly. :eek:
I've read your method. It does not involve 1/4 inch thick globs on both sides IIRC ??

·
Super Moderator
21,267 Posts
No blobs. Any excess is trimmed.

But I do like being able to just plonk the covers back without messing with the gaskets.

+ it addresses any height mismatch between inner and outer ring.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Exactly that,
However by the time I collected all the bits and pieces to build it and all the coolant, cables, exhaust parts it will be quicker to just mount it in an existing bike. Guess it will sit and wait for a major engine failure of one of our bikes? It's been on the shelf now for a couple years.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry long story..
Several yrs ago I bought a spare gl engine. Supposed to have had recent triple done? Haven't got far enough into to verify but price was great.
I knew the clutch needed parts and I got the a long time ago. Today I cleared space on the bench to pull front cover and address clutch.
A PO. had smeared JB weld all over the place to address an oil leak. I have been able to remove most with brute force, but this idiot must have used 2-3 full tubes..
I did however find an issue on the lower right bolt on the Rach cover. It is/ was FUBAR. View attachment 200086 View attachment 200087 I dressed the face with a file, but there is a gaping slot in the bolt hole.

View attachment 200088

Can I use more JB weld to "dress" this slot and bolt face safely?
Also how do I remove the rest of this shit from the block and covers??? Thanks pete
So back to post #1.. Upon much closer inspection. The PO. did insert a threaded insert in the very back of this hole. It seems like it's way to deep. Sorry no photo.
So I started to dress the face w/ JB weld and sanded flat.
I have been slowly rebuilding the inner wall with weld as well usuing a dental pick to apply JB weld. I then pre positioned another insert flush w/ face and more JB to hold in place. Was able to grab inner insert for alignment w a long bolt.

On a wing and and prayer here. Will need to re-dress face once it cures.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
While I was in garage I also bolted in new stator. pulled the old oil and mech. seal out. Cleaned and dressed ready for new seals. Will wait on those for rear cover install.. Have new starter clutch springs to install as well. Still debating on cam chain replacement?? decisions decisions? $$ Have yet to really spend any time on the rear.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did very little this week on the engine. Aside from finishing the heli coil repair.
0620201859.jpg

And finding another repair that looks decent?
0620201859a.jpg

I'm now off for a week and headed to the mnts w my daughter to resurface our community dock. Should be good for 3-4 years of assoc dues when I quit spending $$$. Later folks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I applaud your re-fix... there's no guarantee, but I think you made a damn fine attempt.
I feel more fortunate each day, knowing my CX was mechanically unmolested, 17k miles, oil golden clean.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Even with three wreaks from the last owner, oil like mud, rear brake only, valves never set, worn out timing chain, electrical trouble, carbs messed up, valve cover stud hole broken out. I think I was still in better shape with cx5001981 than your engine. I did some other things, but many years later I am still good to go. Hope all works out well.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
oil seal question at the water pump.

It appears I ordered the wrong seal I need an 18/28/6mm and I ordered a 16/28/7 Will ths seal work or will the 2mm difference be an issue. I can still clear the weep hole. Thanks

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I've seen the 17 x 28 x 7 from the front of the cam, used at the back.

The seal was deformed by the extra mm shoved through it and leaked like a pig.
New seal arrived today and I'm glad I did not try the other one looking at how it actually sits on the rear cam shaft. Thanks all for the input.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts