Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry long story..
Several yrs ago I bought a spare gl engine. Supposed to have had recent triple done? Haven't got far enough into to verify but price was great.
I knew the clutch needed parts and I got the a long time ago. Today I cleared space on the bench to pull front cover and address clutch.
A PO. had smeared JB weld all over the place to address an oil leak. I have been able to remove most with brute force, but this idiot must have used 2-3 full tubes..
I did however find an issue on the lower right bolt on the Rach cover. It is/ was FUBAR.
I dressed the face with a file, but there is a gaping slot in the bolt hole.

Can I use more JB weld to "dress" this slot and bolt face safely?
Also how do I remove the rest of this shit from the block and covers??? Thanks pete

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think heat will help rid you of JB Weld. Can you repair the hole with JB and retap or use a threaded insert?

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Done

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Larry

So after seeing the condition inside the Cam shaft cover, I thought I'd better look into the the back side as a sanity check.. The pulsar cover came off with no issues, however the screws holding the module were extremely corroded and nearly welded in place. Fought with them for nearly and hour, sorry no photo there.
Rear cover also no issues removing. I set the engine to LTDC compression and adjusted the chain.
0517201803[1].jpg

Looks like a lot of life in the chain?
I haven't pulled the fly wheel yet to inspect the tensioner or guide, But I have a good used OEM set on hand if needed.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I broke down and ordered a ton of parts after searching thru stock on hand. Had a good # of O-rings/seals here so that saved a few bucks. Have now spent more on parts than I paid for the engine. Cant decide if I want to do the cam chain as yet... I did order new starter clutch springs so the rotor will we coming off to inspect the tensioner and guide.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I haven't been able to locate my paint stripper, though I have seen it somewhere since our move. I did find an old can of oven cleaner this weekend, so I'll try that on the rear cover I'm cleaning up. If that doesn't perform, I'll go find your friend.

Randall

1 - 20 of 40 Posts