Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old final drive, and newer wheel. Ok to mix?
Both don’t have signs of wear. The final drive is on about 55,000 miles, the wheel in on 30,000miles.
What dy’a think?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, it’s like this.
I ride the bike in my avatar.
I came across another euro, a few months ago, which I bought, for next to nothing.
But it needed new tyres, do I took the wheels off of it, to have new tyres fitted, and then decided that it would probably be a good idea to do a wheel swop, with the bike I use. The tyres on the one I ride, only have about 3000 miles on them.
I only really need to put tyres on the newer purchased bike, so that I can move it around to work on, as the originals didn’t hold air and kept going flat. Then Inthought about the rear drive, etc, having done around half the milage. Is it a good idea to swop out the final drive, too?

·
Super Moderator
21,153 Posts
Why not swap the wheel driven flange over to the one from your old wheel which is already matched to your final drive?

Or you could swap in both wheel and final drive.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not swap the wheel driven flange over to the one from your old wheel which is already matched to your final drive?

Or you could swap in both wheel and final drive.
Is that easy just to swop the flange? Never thought of that.Saves me repainting the drive on the other bike, to match mine.(different colour, paint stripping, an all that.).

·
Super Moderator
21,153 Posts
Very easy. 5 bolts. I remove them routinely to clean and grease. Swapping is no issue.

Check the torque setting in your FSM. It may differ from my twinshock. {29 - 36 ft/lb} but is likely the same based on bolt size {M10}

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very easy. 5 bolts. I remove them routinely to clean and grease. Swapping is no issue.

Check the torque setting in your FSM. It may differ from my twinshock. {29 - 36 ft/lb} but is likely the same based on bolt size {M10}
Hey! Thanks for the swift reply!
It makes sense to me, to keep the two components together. I haven’t taken my rear wheel out yet to check them against each other, but will be doing it on Tuesday, as I have just noticed that the numpty that fitted the rear tyre, had put it on the wrong way round!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts