Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving yukon, oklahoma on july 20th 2011 and will be making a 3 day trip to wisconsin and vacationing for a week. i will be adding to this as i go. your support will be appreciated since no one i know has faith in my bike except me and my father. everyone say's, oh that bike is way too old to go that far, or why would you want to ride a piece of junk on wheels that far, why dont you just fly?

well guess what my grandfather was a lifetime biker and my father was a life time biker, and i never thought i would be but the road is calling to me. its like a drug addiction, i just cant get enough time on the road. so anyways if you guys know of any cool stops let me know. google yukon, ok to minoqua wisconsin and select no tolls and no highways to see my route. thanks guys!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
When do you expect to pass through Minneapolis?

R

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
First off, it should be an easy 2 day ride. While you are there, if you have time, you might want to check out the Keweenaw Peninsula. It is a beautiful place and great riding.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I like the avoid tolls idea but no Highways. That also means no fast in the areas that suck for about 350 a day.

Just remember small roads have small time traffic and road construction. I would find some sections of superslab and kill out some of the boring areas quick. Then you can spend longer at the interesting spots.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason im taking the country roads is that this bike was pulled out of a motorcycle graveyard and all the components were taken from the 6 other similar hondas that were doomed to join the rust piles. i am very good at building custom bikes with new parts but doing a full restoration is very hard. i will be done with the restoration on friday and this ride will be a true test of safety and performance, so i want to take it slow and stay away from the highway were if something catastrophically fails i will not get smooshed by the car behind me at 75 mph. plus i have a better chance of discovering issues if i change speeds often. this bike is a gift to my father and i could never live with myself if this bike breaks and kills him so i need to be sure its in good shape. i will have many spare parts, tools, and other must haves for a trip like this.

for the minnesota guy, i will be in minneapolis mid morning on day three, and will likely spend some time there.

and for the guys who like norwegian foods, im not a fan of lutefisk but regular smoked whitefish is good depending on where it comes from. but i will be eating plenty of bluegill and walleye. i catch a ton of fish everytime i go but i always put the bass and northern pike back to preserve the good fishing. wisconsin is the best state in the whole country and i will do all i can to keep it that way,

big thanks to larry cargill who has sold me some hard to get miscelaneous parts. he is a truely great guy. buy his book even if your a master mechanic. trust me you will learn something.

thanks for the support!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't kow if your close enough, but Steven's Point brewery is a nice stop, and there is a great restaurant by Silver Lake Wisconsin called "The Moose Supper club" I recommend the steak and ribs combo. If you are a beer drinker find yourself some "Fat Tire" beer...very tasty.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if all goes well i will be pulling another gl500 out of the trash pile when i get back. i asked the guy who owns the place to hold on to them for me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't kow if your close enough, but Steven's Point brewery is a nice stop, and there is a great restaurant by Silver Lake Wisconsin called "The Moose Supper club" I recommend the steak and ribs combo. If you are a beer drinker find yourself some "Fat Tire" beer...very tasty.

been there and fat tire is my favorite beer i also love thier 1554 black ale thats good too. mmmmmmm now thats some tasty beer

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
for the minnesota guy, i will be in minneapolis mid morning on day three, and will likely spend some time there.
That'd be Friday the 22nd? Call me when you hit town: 612-455-1905. I'll buy you lunch.

And if you have any mechanical issues when you get here, you're welcome to use my garage.

R

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey gl500 if you ever need help and your in the okc area let me know i am right off NE 23rd and there are a couple of other guys here in the state that are very close buy to you hell theres old okie in okarche......

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey gl500 if you ever need help and your in the okc area let me know i am right off NE 23rd and there are a couple of other guys here in the state that are very close buy to you hell theres old okie in okarche......
i live in yukon so yeah im always here. by the way there are two cx500's on craigslist today check them out good price

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That'd be Friday the 22nd? Call me when you hit town: 612-455-1905. I'll buy you lunch.

And if you have any mechanical issues when you get here, you're welcome to use my garage.

R
hey thanks i will do that. ive been a part of a few biker groups and the cx/gl group trumps all thanks for the support you guys are big time!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i did some more work on the bike and the restoration is now fully complete. i now dub this bike the new 2012 gl500 apocalypse edition with candy oil slick chameleon paint and many extras. new pics of it on the road will be up in a week.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Well, GL500 was a no-show today. Hasn't logged onto the forum since 7/18. Does anyone have any news?

He mentioned in another thread that his Pro-Link was squeaking. Maybe he delayed his trip to deal with that.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, GL500 was a no-show today. Hasn't logged onto the forum since 7/18. Does anyone have any news?

He mentioned in another thread that his Pro-Link was squeaking. Maybe he delayed his trip to deal with that.

Thanks,

R
had a break down in desmoines now im in albert lea tried to call you but your phone wasnt letting me get through got the bike fixed under an over pass then it rained so let me know if saturday workss for you. 4057403986 thanks

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
had a break down in desmoines now im in albert lea tried to call you but your phone wasnt letting me get through got the bike fixed under an over pass then it rained so let me know if saturday workss for you. 4057403986 thanks
Good to hear you're OK. The number I gave you is my office phone, so if you called after 6:00 I missed it.

I'm home today. I'll try to give you a call.

R

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Jeff just left my house, headed for Wisconsin.

He said he'll be in the Minoqua area for about a week. If anyone wants to ride, give him a call.

R

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.