Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loosened the bridge bolts and loosened the nut holding in the springs the fork is still tight in the house do i need to apply heat to loosen the aluminum from the steel fork... please help

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you are removing the forks from the bike you need to do the following:

Take the front wheel off and have the bike supported under the motor with a jack or stand of some kind.

LOOSEN the top of the fork clamp where the top nut of the fork is - you can remove this completely if you like.

Loosen the Fork Pinch Bolt - which is at the bottom of the steering clamp..

then twist the fork slider back and forward with both hands with a downward pulling pressure - they should come out quite easily..

if they are rusty they might take a bit of convincing to get out..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now something the instruction don't say and by the time i got the seal out i forgot which way it was sitting.. which way does the seal go back in the metal ring in the seal facing up or down thanks so much

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG hahaha now seal is in but how the hell are ya supposed to get the spring squashed back in there and that top cap on with trying to screw in the cap... ugh this is tuff but fun at same time.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
the numbers face up so in other words the metal ring goes down into the forks

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok do you have the forks all together? if so then you need a inch and half piece of pvc pipe that way you can put that on top of the seal and hammer that into the forks

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
its not all that hard i was trying to find my thread about replacing the seals but i cant find it

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why do people do shit backwards whoever worked on this before i got it had the little spring on bottom then washer then big spring instructions show the big long one the the washer and little one Hmmmm i am glad i am servicing this bike now i feel safer ...

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
why do people do shit backwards whoever worked on this before i got it had the little spring on bottom then washer then big spring instructions show the big long one the the washer and little one Hmmmm i am glad i am servicing this bike now i feel safer ...

I've seen all sorts of crap done by POs.Most times you can tell they never had a manual to hand and or didn't write down the removal order or as you can these days take some digi pictures with a camera or phone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shep your so right and to think I rode this bike around for months thinking no biggie the guy I bought it from just had it serviced at a shop that is the scary part. however lesson learned for every new member that reads this thread, .buy a used bike it is new to you do a complete service yourself get the info and make sure things are safe and correct. Bottom line! Take the few hrs to a day and really get into it and know it like your own body not only will you have joy from doing so but you will know your safe...

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I have been a member for a yr now and i am just realizing this in GENERAL DISCUSSION there are links to all sorts of stuff. LOL i never realized this till I actually started repairing worn out parts. Thanks Shep and to every forum member who has contributed to this site... even after a yr I am still impressed with the courtesy of the members here ...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yes I have been a member for a yr now and i am just realizing this in GENERAL DISCUSSION there are links to all sorts of stuff. LOL i never realized this till I actually started repairing worn out parts. Thanks Shep and to every forum member who has contributed to this site... even after a yr I am still impressed with the courtesy of the members here ...

well if ya plan to keep the bike for any real length of time you better get used to it all buddy.......

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha Ha Lucky the bike wont go anywhere anytime soon... worked on all my own vehicles since i was old enough to drive so I do however notice i enjoy working on bikes more i have built and messed with everything from go carts to mini bikes when i was younger but as many dirt bikes and quads i have owned in the past for some odd reason i never repaired them drove them into ground and replaced so yes this feels good to actually keep this machine repaired and in good order hahaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.