Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. They say it has a brand new battery. Brand new. The lights came on when I turned the key... but nada.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Story is that it started right up... sounded great drove up on the trailer, and when they got it home..... nothing, hasn't ran since.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bet they cracked the main fuse trailering it home. Give it a look see.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lower right hand picture- it looks fine... how could they crack the main fuse? Causes? Looks like the casing is all intact

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Now is the time to offer less.

Check the little things. Like stated it's a power issue since that year runs off the battery. A cracked fuse can give half power but check it or wire in a new blade fuse holder while you're checking it out. Then make sure power is getting back to the solenoid. Since the starter didn't spin we aren't to that point yet. If power is there then you have to check out the starter.

Think of the main fuse like a cracker. It should be hard and crack free but if it gets soggy and dries it could develop cracks. If it is cracked and brittle than it's no good. Lots here have suffered the wrath of a main fuse.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.... sorting everything out. Love the look of the bike. Don't want to buy it/ bring it home to part it out.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check the posts on the battery. They could be corroded and not making contact.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm gonna see about bringing it home. Look at various possibilities of it not running. Then, if I can't get it going, I'll try to enlist help. I told Troy last night if any of you guys ever stop out, he's cooking! LOL... I'm not the cook in the family, and he made some awesome chili last night! So if I DO get this bike, bring it home, and can't get it up and going... don't be surprised to see an offer of cold beverages, hot food (I meant temperature, but it can be spicy too... he'd probably jump at a chance to make something spicy- I can only eat moderately spicy food before my eyes start watering!
LOL ) for some help with a bike!

~MK

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dakota,

I saw that ad, too. I have been using CraigLook.com to watch for moto's for sale.

You said it clicked when you tried to start it. Sounds like the solenoid is working, but not the starter? I would check the large wire connection to the starter (it may be loose). Check the battery voltage when starting. It may be a new battery but the voltage may be low enough not to turn it over. Ground wire needs to be checked - a poor connection won't carry the current for the starter, but allow the lights to work and such.

I also see on the ad that the starter is "fairly new" - if they replaced it, where's the old one? Price wise it looks good, but with some issues, like 'Stich says, you got some haggling room to lower the price a bit.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dakota,

I saw that ad, too. I have been using CraigLook.com to watch for moto's for sale.

You said it clicked when you tried to start it. Sounds like the solenoid is working, but not the starter? I would check the large wire connection to the starter (it may be loose). Check the battery voltage when starting. It may be a new battery but the voltage may be low enough not to turn it over. Ground wire needs to be checked - a poor connection won't carry the current for the starter, but allow the lights to work and such.

I also see on the ad that the starter is "fairly new" - if they replaced it, where's the old one? Price wise it looks good, but with some issues, like 'Stich says, you got some haggling room to lower the price a bit.

Good luck with the purchase.

Well the price sounds good, the bike looks better than mine when I got the GL- and it's superclose to me.. so even dragging it home on the back of the truck wouldn't be so bad. It's late enough that if we spent the winter working on it it's no big deal. OK.. realistically the fall and the spring- I have a screw in my foot and completely hate the winter! I'll definately keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ditto: check the ground connection from the battery, If it's good, The Bike should push start with a decent battery. I'd give it a little help ( starting fluid) , get it moving about 5mph and drop the clutch in top gear. Heck, it's a Honda, so it should only take a couple revs before at least trying to start. If no bang, I'd start the more involved diagnostics. Sounds like a ground issue or solenoid to me.

Rapping the starter or solenoid with a screwdriver handle has never worked for me... It has always been something suggested and tried though? Maybe a good whack will make it behave

J

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I didn't see where anyone suggested shorting the two large posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers. Just the fact that the solenoid "clicks", doesn't mean that it is allowing current thru the contacts. In fact, most bad solenoids will click, but the internal contacts do not make positive contact, allowing the 80 or so amps to flow to the starting motor.

When you connect the two large terminals on the solenoid to each other with a pliers, you have bypassed the function of the solenoid completely. Be advised that there will be some sparking when they touch, and don't just use a small jumper wire or your wedding ring. You need a large conductor to pass the current without heating up. 80-100 amps will turn a #12 wire red hot before it vaporizes it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
+1 on the solenoid.

Sounds very similiar to my experience, and I avoided the OEM solenoid and went with

12V solenoid brand new from a Snapper riding lawnmower $12.00

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called yesterday to make an offer, she didn't answer or call back- I hope it's just because she's busy because I told her I'd call her either way if I was going to get it or not, and some reciprocated courtesy would be nice.... I am soooo not a patient person, unfortunately.. LOL

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dakota, I know the feeling. I was trading emails with a guy that has a '78 for sale. All of a sudden, no more replies to a few more questions asked. It still listed for sale. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts