Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hello everyone, I have a question, I love me cx500...... but...... Is there any way to have the front forks not so close to the bike kinda like extended somewhat to make the bike not look so stubby so to say. Is there another bike i can take the front forks from i see other honda in the 80ish yrs that dont look stubby and will if possible be inexpensive or not.. thanks payed foreward as always thought i would throw it out there, winter is coming and will be doing other work over winter. Thanks again The pic shows how the bike looks now i think the front end being not so close to the body would look better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would think you would have to change/weld your steering stem, but I'm just guessing. If you were to take your forks out and put a broom stick through your neck, I'd guess the angle would still be the same, right? So any bike forks you put on would probably be at the same angle.

If you were to cut, add metal, re-weld the neck back on, you could probably just reuse your forks, although I think your from end would sit a little lower then (Pythagorean Theorem and all).

Again, this is just guesswork.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Actually if you take a sawzal and cut the bike at the top of frame in the front but don't go all the way through once weight is put on the front of the fork it will bend the wheel/forks up so they have a larger angle. Even 5-10 degrees will really i'm prove the angle but you better have one hell of a welder to glue it back together.

This guy cut it at the bottom but I would do it at the top as long as it isn't a crazy angle.

But you see how much rake this actually made. You probably wouldn't need half that much.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
For anyone wanting to "Rake" the steering tube, change fork angle etc... it is easy to screw up if you do not understand how "Trail" can effect rake... making either a bike at low speed with a front end that will "flop" or wobble... ....Required Reading Re: Rake and Trail

The must be a million articles on this issue avail through a google search

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes i am thinking in time this will grow on me and i will figure out why the bike looks stubby to me, however i will gather my pet peeves together in a row and ask them why they like messing with my head hahahaha. thanks guys for the info first that is way alot of worry for me that someone would not do it right and second of all i would be afraid it would break apart while riding... lol we will keep it like that i can tinker with other things to my desires.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hey, just thought of something: you could paint the rad shroud black, giving the appearance of more space. Might work. Take the shroud off just to see if it looks better to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.