Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Instead of the standard temperature meter, I would like to use a oil temperature gauge : oil temperature gauge .

is the temperature range on this comparable to the standard temperature sensor?

thanks

Tom

·
Registered
309 Posts
That gauge you linked to is just a gimmick really, of little use - you wouldn`t be able to read it safely whilst riding and i doubt it`s accurate. It probably doesn`t even sit directly in the oil in the sump but just measures the air temp in the crankcase.

Besides, oil temperature and coolant temperature are not directly related, you`d have no proper idea of the coolant temp by monitoring the oil temp.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
If you really want to know oil temperature get a proper instrument. Check out these as an example of what might be available. This is a US source but I'm sure similar are available in Europe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I built my own version of that out of a meat thermometer and a spare oil cap. Mine does extend far enough into the sump to get an accurate temperature. I check it when stopped from time to time, just because I'm somewhat obsessed with checking gauges and I like having a backup for my stock coolant temperature gauge. Otherwise, it is indeed a gimmick.

·
Registered
186 Posts
VDO and others sell temperature senders for digital oil temperature gauges that might match the threads in the oil drain plug. While I usually try to read oil temperature in the rifle after the oil pump in my race vehicles, sump will get you close enough. That said, I don't see the need either - high coolant temperature is much more common and more quickly damaging. At least on these bikes, you are only likely to see high oil temperature if you have poor timing or fuel mixture or you are abusing the crap out of the clutch, and there are more effective ways of handling all of those than adding an oil temp gauge. It is really only useful if you're using the bike in racetrack conditions, and even then only as an occasional check and not a permanent installation. Oil pressure would be much more valuable and often allows you to infer temperature as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. So i Will try to use a new coolant temp gauge but in europe it is hard to get one and i avoid to buy in the US because of the crazy import taxes o_O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts