Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a small oil leak/seep in the rear of my bike.

Here is a close up of the exact spot, the case seems to have a recess in the casting where the oil seeps out.

From what I read after using the search button it would appear that this small oil leak/seep is on the joint where the timing cover mates up to the rear case.

It previously had a small dab of black RTV sealant covering the hole, which I removed when cleaning and inspecting the engine. I don't recall any oil leak there before I messed with it but the bike is still relatively new to me so I may have missed it

The plan is to clean it thoroughly and apply some fresh RTV sealant and call it good. I would really like to avoid dropping the engine out if possible, though I admit, a replacement gasket would be the best choice.

Yea or Nay???

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts

This is a slot made in the casting. Its purpose is to function as a drain hole to prevent the build up of water in the upper chamber, primarily due to condensation.

In some areas of the world, particularly the tropics, this can be a real problem. You should not have this problem where you are located so plug it if you wish without worry. I prefer to keep mine open, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
If what Dave says is accurate, as it seems to appear by the pics, then having oil coming from there means whatever slides into that internal slot that separates that chamber from the stator section must be failing/leaking. I assume it is some sort of shaped grommet.

I agree that plugging the hole again with RTV would be okay to do until such time as the rear case needed pulling for other matters, such as stator, etc.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine was also leaking there.I plugged it .I maybe wrong & please correct me if I am but I believe that chamber is for the crankcase ventillation & it would not be abnormal to find some moisture in there weeping thru with oil

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts

The topmost chamber is basically sealed from the crankcase and is not used for ventilation. The stator wires pass through grommets at the top and bottom of this chamber. Any oil in this area is likely due to blowby and leaks at the lower stator grommet and/or the gasket.

The lower chamber is vented with the crankcase ventilation hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.