Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a local place where I could find oil seals? Of course, I've found plenty of them online, but I've kinda got a problem with paying more for shipping than for the product.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Anybody know a local place where I could find oil seals? Of course, I've found plenty of them online, but I've kinda got a problem with paying more for shipping than for the product.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris,which seals in particular.....perhaps your friendly local honda dealer

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for the seal that goes with the mechanical seal and the shifter seal. I suppose a Honda dealer would probably have them, I was just hoping I could find them for cheaper elsewhere. Although I guess if I'm that concerned with saving such a small amount of money, I should probably spend more time evaluating my priorities and less time searching for $5 motorcycle parts. haha

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm looking for the seal that goes with the mechanical seal and the shifter seal. I suppose a Honda dealer would probably have them, I was just hoping I could find them for cheaper elsewhere. Although I guess if I'm that concerned with saving such a small amount of money, I should probably spend more time evaluating my priorities and less time searching for $5 motorcycle parts. haha
mm.id probably[if i had options]buy from your local honda and save the postage....spending the money on fuel,its much more fun than waiting for the post.lol

edit.....do you need the part numbers,or are you ok...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Might look at the metric seal set (387pc) from Harbour Freight. Costs $7.00 on sale. Normally about $11.00.

LT2
for those two.....look at the sizes..

i doubt very much those two will be in the kit.

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, for a second there I was pretty excited. I've got that set of o rings. Wish I could use them instead of seals. haha. Guess I'm looking at a trip to the Honda dealer in the near future.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Man, for a second there I was pretty excited. I've got that set of o rings. Wish I could use them instead of seals. haha. Guess I'm looking at a trip to the Honda dealer in the near future.
good idea...

shifter seal (14x26x6) 91251-ZW5-003

oil seal next to mechanical seal (18x28x6) 91202-283-013

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
The 'O' rings were a worthwhile investment anyway.

Honda actually used imperial sized 'O' rings and gave them metric values, so a comprehensive imperial set is a handy thing to have, even though the bikes are Japanese.

I'd still try a bearing shop for those seals, they'll be a lot cheaper if sourced from one of these rather than Honda.

I try to never pay Hondas inflated parts prices if I can avoid it.

The thickness on my sizes differ slightly from Hondas sizes and these are the general sizes available. They work just as well and better if the shaft passing through the seal is scored under the seal as they move the seal seat by 1mm.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the local Honda dealers don't have them. I don't know of any bearing shops around here. Does anyone else? Looks like I might just have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I don't know of anything to help you up there. I'm with you on not paying so much for shipping but it's been my experience that if you find them locally they just add the cost of shipping to the price you pay. And then if you factor in your fuel to go get them plus time spent on the trip, what's your actual savings? Of course, if you need them this afternoon you'll pay whatever they tell you to pay. If you can find them.

Good luck,

Fib

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Try googling '***', nitto, CBC and I think NTK and see if any distributors for these bearings come up near you.

Adelaide is a small city and we have a number of these sorts of places.

Maybe these shops have a different name in your phone books than here where they come up simply under bearings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.