Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellas i have a question... i'm replacing, among other things, the oil seal behind the water pump. does this seal have to be pushed all the way in? i.e., up against the mechanical seal? or does it just have to be flush with the outer rim of the inside of the case? i'm thinking maybe this IS the case, as to not cover up the weep hole. is this correct?

thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure the flat face of the seal is on the inside too, (towards the mechanical Seal) can be a bit confusing the first time you do it, the weep hole should be kept clear in the middle between Oil seal and mechanical seal

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Lubricate the sides of the seal with some clean engine oil.Push in until it stops.It should then be flush with the edges of the hole.Spring side of the seal facing you.

Be careful when re-fitting the rear case and align to the cam shaft correctly so it does NOT damage the delicate seal inner flange.

HTH

·
Registered
152 Posts
While you have the cover off clean out the weep hole passage. Mine was solidly clogged with white crusty stuff, Probably antifreeze and oxidized amuninum. I had to get a long drill bit and drill it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.