Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will start this thread with my first ride after doing some long overdue PM. Just parking lot cruisin, the bike sounds good, seems tuned pretty well, may need some slight refining, but after practicing some slow manueverability, the Oil Light came on. Immediately shut her down checked the oil level again, it was fine.

Waited for about 2 to 3 minutes and started her back up, the Oil Light went off...rode for a couple more times around the lot, the Oil Light came on again and then went out as fast as it came on.

Decided to get her home and shake the forum for some info.

Got some great information from Stitch, and there is a module located on the underside of the seat that Honda engineered to activate the Oil Light when the Brake Light Bulb burns out. I think this module is exclusive to 79CX500's? If it is found on any other model or year, please post the information and its location please!

Here is a pic of the Module inside the Orange Box...I took Stitch's recommendation and disconnected the module completely by unplugging the 4-wire plug in the green box.

After 40 miles, no nuisance Oil Light alarms! I was able to confirm that the oil light still was operating normal by stalling her a couple times

Thanks Stitch!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's the problem?

Just doing a follow-up post to some PM's and posting a pic with what I did to remedy the problem in case other's were running into the same issue is all. I am also not sure if this module is found on any other models, or years...

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
So what's the problem?

The problem is that you will never have to know the stupidity of this idiot light activator.

Someone was smoking crack at honda in 79. Thank god that was the only time this module was offered.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I suspect it may have been a "on the fly" addition to make already manufactured but not delivered vehicles conform to a new standard or requirement. Do 4N Customs have this too?

There are a few cars of the same vintage that have similar idiot light "integration", personal BTDT is with certain German cars of that vintage which will illuminate the BRAKE light if one of the bulbs for the plate light burns out, plus a model or two which flashes the brake icon when the power steering fluid is low.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
I guess they figure you actually read those horridly written owners manuals and expect you to understand the fact that none of it makes logical sense at all, unless the light goes on. "OH YEAH, it must be my brake light"......as you are traveling at 70. Kind of like the "check engine light". Who the heck knows for sure what it is unless you subject yourself to the $$ tester. I've been driving my truck with that damn idiot light on for years, know exactly what is causing it, and could care less. My mileage is the same, the performance is the same, and when DEQ comes a' callin', I disconnect the battery to reset it. 'nuff said. Stupid.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
For the sake of safety I'd clean the brake light sockets and bulb contacts, you can't have enough brake light and if one of yours is intermittent and it's a $0 fix involving only a little labor time why not? Check the grounds back there while you're at it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the sake of safety I'd clean the brake light sockets and bulb contacts, you can't have enough brake light and if one of yours is intermittent and it's a $0 fix involving only a little labor time why not? Check the grounds back there while you're at it.

Thanks Marshall...I have started doing that. The rear brake light internals were factory-clean, contacts excellent. The wires exposed to the elements are a different story. I plan to break each connection and use some contact cleaner, and then a bit of dielectric grease, clean the connection boots etc. I did evict some resident spiders and their nests...good PM for sure.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, when I get my bike back I'm going to buy a large tube of electrical silicone grease (or weatherstripping lubricant or spark plug boot grease or caliper pin grease - most are the same stuff) then disassemble and clean every connector and ground I can find followed by the grease.

I forget what they sell them for but there's a set of very tiny round wire brushes, a couple of which are perfect for the female end of a standard bullet connector. I think I bought mine at a discount tool place near the paint gun supplies. You would want the true stainless steel or brass ones instead of plastic, the metallic ones will make short work of getting a nicely polished surface. Now if I could just find the equivalent for the male ends as opposed to using small plain straight wir brushes for that.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I forget what they sell them for but there's a set of very tiny round wire brushes,

Torch tip cleaners, a good set is about $2.00 at any welding supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts