Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i bought a 1978 honda cx500 with about 14000 miles on it 3 months ago i just noticed when i came out that there was oil coming out where the coolant line connects in the back of the motor well i whiped the oil off and rode the bike about 10 miles with no loss of power or stalling------------well i let it sit and cooled down for a hour or so and there was a little oil leaking back out plus i checked my oil and have the milkshake looking oil not sure if its a head gasket or something else any feedback would be very very appreciated....ty--------------------------plus would anyone know the compression on both sides of the motor.....just drained the oil dont look too bad at all but i noticed there is a little oil and coolant coming out the back of the motor where the cooling line connects to the motor i know i caught it in time when i opened the dipstick it looked a little milkshaky looking but when i just drained it it looked good im confused any thoughts of what would cause this..................yes i thought at first it was just oil leaking out but i just noticed that there is a little coolant as well leaking out also the leak is were the metal tube runs from the rad to the back of the motor believe to the water pump area..its leaking behind that plate were the metal tube runs to behind the motor....

·
Registered
967 Posts
You have a coolant leak towards the oil side of the motor. It might be tough to track down where the leak is, and unfortunately this may be a motor out type of event until you can figure out where the leak is.

Frothy Milkshake is bad news as this emulsification breaks down the properties of the oil, and continuing to ride, even crank the engine WILL damage it. I hope you didn't damage the motor on your 10 mile ride.

My best advice is to NOT RIDE IT. again you will kill your motor. Maybe you have caught this in time and can salvage things. Maybe others have some advice?

Your crank bearings, connecting rod bearings etc are all at risk with coolant in the oil, as well as everything else.

I think compression may vary but 135psi...does that sound right?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hello i bought a 1978 honda cx500 with about 14000 miles on it 3 months ago i just noticed when i came out that there was oil coming out where the coolant line connects in the back of the motor well i whiped the oil off and rode the bike about 10 miles with no loss of power or stalling------------well i let it sit and cooled down for a hour or so and there was a little oil leaking back out plus i checked my oil and have the milkshake looking oil not sure if its a head gasket or something else any feedback would be very very appreciated....ty--------------------------plus would anyone know the compression on both sides of the motor.....just drained the oil dont look too bad at all but i noticed there is a little oil and coolant coming out the back of the motor where the cooling line connects to the motor i know i caught it in time when i opened the dipstick it looked a little milkshaky looking but when i just drained it it looked good im confused any thoughts of what would cause this..
Rick has given you good advice.

normally the two places water can cross ingress into the coolant are the head gasket[unlikely,considering the milage]or the rear seal at the water pump....

are you sure oil is coming out of a coolant pipe?a picture would be nice of the oil leak

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The oil leak near the coolant pipe is most likely coming from the weep hole, as Bandit suggested a photo would help pinpoint it. If it is coming out the weep hole it probably means the oil seal on the end of the camshaft is leaking. (engine out to fix it)

If this is where it is leaking it means the weep hole is not blocked,,which normally would mean if the mechanical water pump seal was bad,,water would leak out the weep hole before it would leak past the camshaft oil seal and mix with the oil.

It is possible that a head gasket is bad, compression could be anywhere from 100 to 150 psi, the number is not as important in this case as the 2 cylinders being close to the same. If there is one cylinder much lower than the other it would indicate a problem on the low side.

If you see no water leaking from the spot where the oil is leaking, I would think it is most likely a head gasket leak. There is a test that can be done to determine if combustion gasses are present in the radiator,,you can buy a kit or most auto mechanics would be able to test it.

The oil leak, depending how badly it is leaking, may not be too serious and you might drive it for a while without having to remove the engine to repair it until the fall or winter when you are not riding.(unless you live somewhere warm and you drive year round)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Can't oil "weep" out of the water pump "weep hole" if one or more of the seals preventing this inside the back cover there are bad ?

Or not ?
i think the failure of this seal Rick,would send water/coolant back into the oil.

its this comment from the OP......i just noticed when i came out that there was oil coming out where the coolant line connects in the back of the motor well i whiped the oil off and rode the bike about 10 miles that confused me

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Foutjmike40, The weep hole is behind the water pump cover, see this.

If the mechanical seal is bad water will leak out the weep hole, Honda designed it this way so if the mechanical water pump seal failed the water would have somewhere to go other than being forced past the oil seal on the camshaft into the engine.

Sometimes, people not knowing the purpose of the weep hole will see water leaking from it and plug the hole,,when this happens the water will mix with the oil. It also happens that the weep hole can be plugged without anyone plugging it on purpose, wasps, etc. have been known to plug the hole up.

If this happens and then the mechanical seal fails, same thing will happen, the water will have no where to go but past the camshaft oil seal and into the oil.

·
Registered
967 Posts
...The oil leak, depending how badly it is leaking, may not be too serious and you might drive it for a while without having to remove the engine to repair it until the fall or winter when you are not riding.(unless you live somewhere warm and you drive year round)

I will respectfully disagree with you on this one Allan on the fact that he has milky emulusified oil which is a MAJOR cause for concern-if anything a Huge red flag. I don't think it can't be stated enough that to continue to ride it or spin the motor if in fact the oil is milky is pushing the motor closer to permanant and possibly irreversible damage. Its not my bike, but if it were I would do some serious ivestigation before risking it.

(edit) I think you agree...this is this guys first post, and I don't know his mechanical abilities...I just want him to be aware that this CAN be a major issue, and from what he has posted I think he shouldn't run the motor.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I will respectfully disagree with you on this one Allan on the fact that he has milky emulusified oil which is a MAJOR cause for concern-if anything a Huge red flag. I don't think it can't be stated enough that to continue to ride it or spin the motor if in fact the oil is milky is pushing the motor closer to permanant and possibly irreversible damage. Its not my bike, but if it were I would do some serious ivestigation before risking it.

(edit) I think you agree...this is this guys first post, and I don't know his mechanical abilities...I just want him to be aware that this CAN be a major issue, and from what he has posted I think he shouldn't run the motor.
Rick,i know for a fact Allen is not suggesting for one minute,that its ok to ride the bike,..he is talking about the path of ingression

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yes Rick, i agree that oil in the water is not good.

But if oil is leaking past the cam seal out the weep hole onto the rear cover

that is probably not where it is mixing with the water.

I think from what has been posted so far it may be a head gasket.

Thanks for pointing this out, I can see after re-reading my earlier post that it could be confusing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes Rick, i agree that oil in the water is not good.

But if oil is leaking past the cam seal out the weep hole onto the rear cover

that is probably not where it is getting into the water.

I think from what has been posted so far it may be a head gasket.

Thanks for the follow up Allan...your posts are pretty spot-on all of the time. I Just wanted to make sure that the more experienced forum members while trying to figure out where the coolant leak was did not confuse the bigger issue at hand which is the murky oil. I am glad he caught it. I just hope that the previous owner did not know about this issue, change the oil and sell it knowing of the problem. I have seen this done in the auto world and it is Shady to say the least--ie drain it down, add a really heavy weight oil to quiet the motor and flip the car.

It is vital too that he collects the oil when he drains it to check for brass sparkles or any metallic component for that matter...brass bits might mean crank or connecting rod bearing damage.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Foutjmike40, I just noticed you edited your post, or else I missed the part where you said you drained the oil. It is probably better if you use the add reply button so your new information will not go unnoticed.

Sometimes there is a bit of froth on the dipstick, or if you remove the valve covers you may find similar. If you drained the oil and it looks ok, you may not have a serious problem. Keep a close eye on the oil, maybe drain it again fairly soon to be sure it is O.K.

If you are leaking a bit of water and oil out the weep hole, then you may have a bad mechanical seal(behind the water pump) as well as a bad cam shaft oil seal. This too may not be too bad if you watch it closely, If you are not losing a lot of water from the rad.(check the level in the rad, don't rely on the overflow coolant bottle) Sometimes if a bike has been setting for a while they will leak coolant here and after some driving will stop leaking.

If you decide you need to fix the water leak it can be done without removing the engine,,search "sheps method" and it should bring up posts covering this.

The oil leak will require the engine be removed and the rear cover taken off to replace the camshaft oil seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok ty for all the help you guys are the best but i did drain the oil and it looked not bad at all not the milky look i had when i pulled the dipstick but i drove it for a couple miles it did leak a little oil in the same spot i said earlier and i checked the oil and it looks ok but i will keep a good eye on this problem i just hate to pull the motor seems to be a little more than i can tackle myself i am good with cars but motorcycles is a different can of worms for me,again ty to all of you that gave me some very good information...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ok ty for all the help you guys are the best but i did drain the oil and it looked not bad at all not the milky look i had when i pulled the dipstick but i drove it for a couple miles it did leak a little oil in the same spot i said earlier and i checked the oil and it looks ok but i will keep a good eye on this problem i just hate to pull the motor seems to be a little more than i can tackle myself i am good with cars but motorcycles is a different can of worms for me,again ty to all of you that gave me some very good information...
ok,now im even more confused.

where exactly was your oil leak?

any chance of a photo?

·
Registered
967 Posts

Be aware that the emulsification/frothy/milky look occurs after the motor runs--sort of 'whips' the oil/coolant mixture into a froth that settles down over time. it will and usually does separate...just keep that in mind. The temptation is to think things are ok...keep in mind that you are fortunate enough to have caught the issue before it is too late...I would still try to determine what is going on and where the leak is before I rode the bike anymore.

Also keep in mind that the guys here will walk you through the repairs...its not really too bad of a job, AND there may be some around you that can lend a hand! Patience is the name of the game at this point. I would just hate to pieces to see your bike throw a rod because of a bearing failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mike,don't be afraid to work on your bike because it it a motorcycle. If you know cars you can handle the CX. It is pretty basic if you have any mechanical ability.If you are getting water in the oil it needs to be fixed. Pulling the engine is not as difficult as it may seem. The radiator and all come out at the same time.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I agee with Bama Jama, when I got the bike I tore it apart to paint the frame and put it back together (after taking off the heads and seeing they were in great shape). I didnt do any real repair to it, as I too was worried I could not do it right. I now have to do a tripple bypass on mine as the stator died on me, and since my mechanical seal leaks a bit I will also change it.

One thing I know for sure is the people here will make the job fun and easy, and with the short time ive been here Im not scared to do anything (even a piston and bearing change if required). What ever job needs doing, chances are there are more than a dozen here that have done it at least once, and with their help and material many have assembled its like having a mechanic standing next to you (minus the huge bill of course lol).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Well, you were not always good with cars right ? I mean you had to work on a few and learn first before you were "good with them"....right ??

Same would go for the bike....there seem to be SO MANY people here on our site from Ohio....you more than likely could hook up with someone that's taken the bike apart before and can teach you. If you can work on cars you are AT LEAST mechanical enough to take the engine out, doing that is a NO BRAINER. Then you can just bring the engine to someone and open it up with him and LEARN ! This is how I've learned to work on the CX....I'm lucky enough to have a guru 60 miles down the interstate from me. Dropping the engine the first time took me about 2 hours....now I bet I could have it out and in my truck in 1 hour.

The other issue that baffles me (WITH ALL DUE RESPECT) is that you keep running the engine and riding the bike when people here that KNOW what they are talking about, all with the intent of helping you, keep telling you NOT TO. Instead you keep taking that chance of totally ruining your engine KNOWING that you might have an issue here where the oil is NOT protecting your engine the way it should, this is baffling to me......just sayin.

Good Luck !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.