Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've only taken the bike on the highway a couple times, but now I'm starting to get used to it. Following my first commute to work by highway, I noticed oil splatter on my boots. I've been smelling burnt oil after riding for about a week. Anyhow, after wiping away the oil, I've seen that it runs down the seam on the right side, on the front side of the engine. It appears to start behind the fan shroud. I haven't taken it apart yet to find the source, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask on here what the source is likely to be.

I ended up giving the bike an oil change and adding some heavy duty leak stop, and a promise to myself to take it apart to find the source of the leak.
hi.this phrase is a little,disconcerting

I ended up giving the bike an oil change and adding some heavy duty leak stop

is the gunk you put in ok around 30 year old bearings etc.

might pay to post the link,and get an opinion.

if you had a couple of hours free,why not just pull the rad.and fan,and have a look.

its probably either the tach seal or the front cover gasket.both of which can be repaired externally temporarily until you want to do different.

at least you can finish your riding season without getting oil on your boots

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've had success with Bar's Leak's radiator leak stop in my car, so I thought I'd try this: http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm
Well its a good brand,i think its mainly for rubbers.

i still would not want it in my engine

i wonder if it can work out which hole to plug,a gasket hole or an oil jet mist hole

1 - 2 of 2 Posts