Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only taken the bike on the highway a couple times, but now I'm starting to get used to it. Following my first commute to work by highway, I noticed oil splatter on my boots. I've been smelling burnt oil after riding for about a week. Anyhow, after wiping away the oil, I've seen that it runs down the seam on the right side, on the front side of the engine. It appears to start behind the fan shroud. I haven't taken it apart yet to find the source, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask on here what the source is likely to be.

I ended up giving the bike an oil change and adding some heavy duty leak stop, and a promise to myself to take it apart to find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had same oil leak on a CX500 I used to own - right boot always coated in oil, especially when riding on the highway. In my case, the oil leak was from the front engine cover gasket at the front top right. This is a common location for oil leaks on CX500's FYI. The gasket just shrank from age and tightening the bolts didn't help. To change the gasket, you have to drain the oil and coolant. Then remove the radiator. That gives access to the front engine cover. You can buy a new gasket or make one yourself and save some money. Overall, this job is pretty easy.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've only taken the bike on the highway a couple times, but now I'm starting to get used to it. Following my first commute to work by highway, I noticed oil splatter on my boots. I've been smelling burnt oil after riding for about a week. Anyhow, after wiping away the oil, I've seen that it runs down the seam on the right side, on the front side of the engine. It appears to start behind the fan shroud. I haven't taken it apart yet to find the source, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask on here what the source is likely to be.

I ended up giving the bike an oil change and adding some heavy duty leak stop, and a promise to myself to take it apart to find the source of the leak.
hi.this phrase is a little,disconcerting

I ended up giving the bike an oil change and adding some heavy duty leak stop

is the gunk you put in ok around 30 year old bearings etc.

might pay to post the link,and get an opinion.

if you had a couple of hours free,why not just pull the rad.and fan,and have a look.

its probably either the tach seal or the front cover gasket.both of which can be repaired externally temporarily until you want to do different.

at least you can finish your riding season without getting oil on your boots

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I, too, am concerned about this "stop leak" used in the oil. The only additives for oil that have been mentioned with merit that I've seen is an occasional Mystery Oil or Sea Foam application, and neither of those deal with leaks.

I have also had to do the front gasket for a leak, and it's not too big a job (well, I didn't actually physically do it, but had a local forum guy help me.)

As said, it is also possible to do a temp fix with some JB Weld at the source point on the cover, without too much later difficulty. I have a JB fix on my rear cover seam that has held for several years with no ill effects, and the stuff is a close match to engine color.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've had success with Bar's Leak's radiator leak stop in my car, so I thought I'd try this: http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm
Well its a good brand,i think its mainly for rubbers.

i still would not want it in my engine

i wonder if it can work out which hole to plug,a gasket hole or an oil jet mist hole

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
If it was indeed a cover leak, I would replace the gasket or "seal" it with RTV sealant or JB Weld until you can fix it. I myself have become very carefull with additives as I have used some with really bad outcomes. They used to sell (maybe still do) an additive for the engine oil to make old cars run great (for the life of me I cant remember the name) and it was listed as the worlds greatest inventions (even had race car divers endorsing it)

Well, after TWO engines crapped out after using this stuff I refused to ever use "additives" again. When I pulled both engines (one from a vega, 4 cylinder, and one from my old magnum, 8 454) and pulled the heads, I found all the rubber bits turned to stone. Both engines had had new valve oil seals installed, and all were like rock. Hope I can remember the name of the crap, will drive me nuts now trying to think about it (it WASNT STP).

Anyway, on the off chance, check you front forks. My right one leaks and covers the engine and my boot in oil (looks like oil but is actually ATF), and I thought it was an engine leak until I looked at the forks. Just a thought

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I've seen it running down both sides of the seal, so I'm convinced it's an oil leak. The additive is supposed to swell gaskets, so I'm not worried about it filling holes. The radiator version of leak stop had small marbles that dissolved and reformed to fill holes in the radiator (and it worked). There is a time/mileage for when the leak will stop, so I can't say if the stuff works yet. Since changing the oil, the leak seems to have become worse. It was really dripping when I stopped for gas on the way home from work. I checked the level before I went out again tonight, and it was still at the full mark. On the way home, however, the bike was running hot. I'll have to investigate more in the daylight. My old garage doesn't have electricity.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't mess with a cheap quick fix, because they usually are just that. I could see JB weld on the outside of the case until winter rolls around, I'm all for delaying until I can't ride anyway. But radiator stop leak or any of that I won't do.

Word of advice, get the bolt you need to pull the fan, if you use the front axle to pull it and it goes wrong, it'll take HOURS to get the fan off, I haven't even finished yet, broke the fan off, but the metal center is still on the camshaft, but I think that a slide hammer should finish the job tomorrow. If you have the tools, then pulling the front cover isn't bad, but if you don't, then it really can be.

I won't put ANYTHING in my bike unless it says Lucas, other than Seafoam, haven't used seafoam yet, both cans disappeared, convienelty after my ex left, dunno what the hell she'd want with it, but it isn't where it was before...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.