Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy doodie, y'all.

Got a little oil leak happenin. I'd like to wait till winter to completely tear it apart and replace the gasket, so I'm wondering....are there any temporary solutions you guys might recommend?

I've seen that RTV sealant, but not sure if thats recommended or not. I've also seen those "leak stop" additives, but I can't for the life of me imagine those are good for an engine.

Thoughts?

Heres a few photos. The spot circled in red seems to be the highest point from which its leaking. Not sure if that's the only spot or not. But when I first got this bike, there was a bit of green sealant on there that I picked off. Apparently the previous owner was also trying to remedy the problem...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd suggest to leave the "leak stop" additives on the store shelves.

You could make sure the bolts on either side of the leak are at the proper torque.

Otherwise, if the leak isn't severe, then you could just mop it up every now and then while keeping an eye on the crankcase oil level.

Or you could smear some type of sealant on the surface.........

·
Registered
148 Posts
My GL500's previous owner smeared some RTV in about the same spot. It's not super pretty but it's done the job so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Gents! I'll grab a tube of RTV for now and then get the gasket changed out this winter. Much appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts