Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 cx500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve done some research and I have an oil leak coming from the gasket in front of the front engine cover gasket but what is it called ? It’s not the the engine cover gasket itself it’s the farthest to the front . Is it difficult to replace myself ? Still relatively new to my cx500 and riding so help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,115 Posts
Clutch cover.
It's the easiest gasket to replace. You only need to remove the clutch cable.
Is the leak from the gasket, or from the clutch lever shaft's oil seal?

·
Registered
1980 cx500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch cover.
It's the easiest gasket to replace. You only need to remove the clutch cable.
Is the leak from the gasket, or from the clutch lever shaft's oil seal?
From the gasket itself on the clutch cover I assume if it’s the circular front most part on the engine

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,115 Posts
I guess you wouldn't even need to detach the clutch cable until after the cover is off (and then, only if you need to scrape the old gasket off the cover.)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Given that you are new to both motorcycles and working on them it might be beneficial to post a picture or two of the oil leak. Randall probably has it figured out for you but a picture can speak a thousand words sometimes.

·
Registered
1980 cx500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you wouldn't even need to detach the clutch cable until after the cover is off (and then, only if you need to scrape the old gasket off the cover.)
Awesome. Thanks so much for the help actually going to work on this ASAP thanks so much

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
This would be a good time to consult the Factory Shop Manual. You did download it and go through all of the maintenance procedures BEFORE you started using the bike much, didn't you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts