Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the washer that belongs on the top of the oil filter a tremendous issue if it is MIA?

Mine is and I just got the front cover back on everything looks good and I hope to have time to install the engine this week. A test ride would be very nice.

If I have to wait for the filter "seat" I can but what a bummer!

Oh a word of experience.... a 160 lb motor weighs more when your 40 yrs old that it does when your 30 yrs old.

I did not pull any 160 lb motors when I was 30 but I know it would not have felt quite that heavy.

I put it on the cloths washing machine to work on it and it felt like I was picking up a boulder!

It is old age. I have an appointment to see an eye quack tomorrow about my vision ....

Soon I will need a cane!

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
I have yet to work on one of these bikes for the first time and find this washer present so it's probably not that big a deal.

BUT, if possible I would replace it if you can.

I make mine from a large washer I open up in the middle until it slips over the filter bolt and then turn down the outside to match the grommet on the disposable filter.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have yet to work on one of these bikes for the first time and find this washer present so it's probably not that big a deal.

BUT, if possible I would replace it if you can.

I make mine from a large washer I open up in the middle until it slips over the filter bolt and then turn down the outside to match the grommet on the disposable filter.

Its off to the home despot I go then tomorrow.

I am going to buy a new spacer for the front headlight plastic. One of the metal little spacers was missing soooo I needed to get one of them anyway.

I will hunt up an appropriate size washer and go from there.

It the thickness critical? I cannot imagine it is with the spring in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Oh a word of experience.... a 160 lb motor weighs more when your 40 yrs old that it does when your 30 yrs old.

Soon I will need a cane!

LOL

I just made 54...

Picking up 160lbs of me is a Royal Pain in the Morning.

Soon you will need bifocals too... usually around 45

I thought the filter cover had a flange bolt ? never seen the washer either...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soon you will need bifocals too... usually around 45

I thought the filter cover had a flange bolt ? never seen the washer either...

I am afraid that is what the eye quack will tell me tomorrow.

That is what I get for working in electronics and looking at little bitty parts all day.

Oh and the layout reviews do not help any either!

An ole (I would call him old but he would kick my a$$ and I would be embarrassed by it) friend of mine tells me all the time it is better than the alternative!

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
Nola, the washer in question goes inside the filter case between the spring and the filter cartridge.

Not surprised you've never seen one either though, losing them seems to be a trend sweeping the globe.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
I haven't worked on a single cx500 that I have found that washer. Some people get real crazy abut saying that it's a must due to the fact that the spring could eat into the rubber grommet on the filter. Never seen that but I do believe a washer should be there.

What I did is when I bought the M20x1.5 drain bolt for pulling rotors it had a fiber washer on it and it works fine. Just saw it sunday.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Honda dealers still sell them but they're a bit pricey.

I think they usually get lost because they bind to an old filter at some previous change and they're not seen as they end up looking like the same color as what they sit against. A good Ace Hardware (or equiv) may have something that's already close enough in size.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
One Ebay crapped out engine I stripped had the Oil Filter washer missing.The top rubber grommet of the oil filter had been pushed into the oil filter therefore the oil filter,for all intents and purposes,may well have not been present.It's there for a reason.Replace it.I reamed the centre hole of a large washer I had and de-burred it to make one for one of my CX.

My 10 penn'th.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have read on one of the German forums that someone claimed this washer was missing on many CX engines with big-end failure he had seen or dismantled. In that thread it was claimed that this washer is critical for the tightness of the oil filter against the filter bolt, and that 'dirty' oil could bypass the filter if the washer was not present.

I have a fairly technical eye, and cannot agree with this, not under 'normal' conditions at least. Could be like Blindstitch says that the spring could eat into the rubber grommet and somehow dislodge it, but I have some difficulty seeing this happen.

Michael

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I have read on one of the German forums that someone claimed this washer was missing on many CX engines with big-end failure he had seen or dismantled. In that thread it was claimed that this washer is critical for the tightness of the oil filter against the filter bolt, and that 'dirty' oil could bypass the filter if the washer was not present.

I have a fairly technical eye, and cannot agree with this, not under 'normal' conditions at least. Could be like Blindstitch says that the spring could eat into the rubber grommet and somehow dislodge it, but I have some difficulty seeing this happen.

Michael
I dont agree with that either Micheal

I see the washer as a belt and braces affair and probably good working practise

to spread the load of the spring across the face of the rubber in case there

are any sharp edges to bite into the rubber.

Oil will take the path of least resistance so regular oil and filter

changes are more important IMO

·
Registered
816 Posts
I see that the washer on Partsnmore that Shep posted is for a 5 pack. So, 60 cents each is not bad at all. Compared to the time to take a washer and make it work. Plus they have a lot of small item parts that I think I would order to stock up on (electrical and rubber bits). Good to know!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I see that the washer on Partsnmore that Shep posted is for a 5 pack. So, 60 cents each is not bad at all. Compared to the time to take a washer and make it work. Plus they have a lot of small item parts that I think I would order to stock up on (electrical and rubber bits). Good to know!
yes,good find/post shep...plus floor boards for 50 bucks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts