Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site recently---thanks for all the info. I have one issue though, the washer was missing on the oil filter when I did the change. The spring was there but no washer, will it be ok to run without the washer until the next oil change?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You'll be OK, just find one before the next oil change.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I've never bought an oil filter that didn't include the washers, both the large one for the filter, and the small one for the inner tube.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've never bought an oil filter that didn't include the washers, both the large one for the filter, and the small one for the inner tube.

Ramprat,

Are you think of the rubber "O" rings maybe???

The washer he mentions is the one that goes between the spring and the filter itself.

Helps the rubber of the filter have a place for the spring to push against, which in turn keeps the filter in place so that there isn't a chance for "dirty" oil to blow by the filter under possible higher oil pressure of higher RPMs.

It it wise to check the end of the oil filter every time you change it for a new one so that this metal washer doesn't get tossed out with the old filter.

I think that is the biggest reason for the missing washers.

It is COLD again here in Minnesota so have to wait even LONGER for warm riding weather

Greg

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Yes, I did get that confused. Blame it on it being Daytona day.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ramprat,i dont think your confused,i,with a filter get the washer,the o-ring,2 fork seals and a front tyre.

only joking mate.iv had a great day out,got 170 miles in,i forgot how warm february can be.and iv come home tired and excited.lmao.

G

·
Just found this site recently---thanks for all the info. I have one issue though, the washer was missing on the oil filter when I did the change. The spring was there but no washer, will it be ok to run without the washer until the next oil change?

Pretty sure Honda still has them ,had to buy one for a 78 550 k in the fall..

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
I've yet to do an oil change on one of these bikes that I havn't worked on before and find the washer in place {and no, they're not stuck to the old filter either, though this probably does explain why they were missing in the first place}.

I've got a stock of washers in the shed that if the hole is ground out and the external diameter is ground down on the bench grinder I have a replacement on hand.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Go to any good hardware store and look at their drawer of "machinery bushings", take the filter bolt in with you and select a bushing just big enough to fit over the bolt. It will be a perfect fit and it is cheaper than the washer from Honda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.