Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I am looking to change my oil in my 83 CX650E as im almost rolling 3,500 km since last change which is probably too long...

The last filter I bought from a motorcycle shop was a HI-FLOW aftermarket filter for 10 bucks.

I called the honda dealer locally yesterday and they quoted me 15 dollars for the filter from Honda. Is it worth paying the extra money for the Honda filter?

Can I just get an aftermarket one like HiFlow and will it perform just as well. The last time I bought the Hiflow filter it did not come with a replacement seal for the filter so I reused the old one which looked in fine condition.

Let me know guys,

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
There are more than enough people that are going to tell you that these are the best or these are the worst and show you pictures of can filters cut apart. In the end I don't care what filter you run as long as you run a filter. If you change your oil often it's not going to matter.

Oil filters Aftermarket and other.

Honda 154A1-413-005 or 15410-KEA-305

Fram CH6007

Purolator ML16807

Wix 24938

K&N KN-111

NAPA Gold 1217

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how important is it to change the gasket? This will be my third oil change with the same gasket... Is this okay or should i replace the oil filter gaskets?
in 20 plus oil changes,iv never changed mine,it either leaks or it does,nt.

its only a seal........work or no work

·
Registered
837 Posts
I guess you should use the gasket if you have one. The regular Honda filter comes with 3 gaskets, one of which is not meant for our CX bikes...it's too large to fit anything. It was confusing to me the first time I got one, "Jeepers, where does that gasket go?"

My only complaint is the Honda brand filter costs about $15 from the dealer. My Porsche filters are less than that!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Any one will do. I always run aftermarket filters on the bikes. As Donald said, "change oil regularly". Never had a problem in 20 years. If the old gasket works, leave it on.

Hint: keep two of the "O" rings from the centre of the filter, make good grommets for holding on side covers and such.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
The Honda one will come with the gasket.

No it won't at times.

I went to buy one saturday and in the last 30 years honda changed a lot of things but not the filter.

The cx500 filters that the dealer was selling come with the gaskets but if you asked one for a gl500 they didn't have a gasket because the new quads use the same filter and don't need the gaskets.

I change my gaskets every 3 oil changes and they look just fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can get an oil filter with o-ring seals at your local Canadian Tire store. They may have to overnight it but you can get it and it is less than $15.

Make sure you do not throw away the washer that prevents the spring from scoring the inner filter seals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts