Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hello and good morning, I read a post a a few days ago about someone using a bolt with a 17mm head for the oil housing, i looked on bike bandit and they want 41.00 for a bolt but that one looks like it has holes in it can i use a typical bolt and if so what size is it going to parts store for header gaskets figure i would pick up the bolt along the way.
just to run it and check i put some basic auto zone oil in there so after running i plan on changing filter and again put in fresh oil. but i need a new bolt as the head is stripped thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's about 10 times what they should cost. Call matt at TAS Motorsports 260-563-6937 and tell him what you're wanting.

Mention my name (Marshall) or that you read about them on our forum and you should get free shipping and possibly a discount.

While you're there it's a good idea to think abut picking up an extra one or more oil filters, an air filter and any seals you've got that are leaking. They've got a ton of stuff specific to our bikes and know them well as they've owned them before.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok hello and good morning, I read a post a a few days ago about someone using a bolt with a 17mm head for the oil housing, i looked on bike bandit and they want 41.00 for a bolt but that one looks like it has holes in it can i use a typical bolt and if so what size is it going to parts store for header gaskets figure i would pick up the bolt along the way.
just to run it and check i put some basic auto zone oil in there so after running i plan on changing filter and again put in fresh oil. but i need a new bolt as the head is stripped thanks in advance
Jay,you cannot use any old bolt.those holes are there for a reason.....think about it

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Marshal will check into that oil filter i got 4.99 from napa used them twice already without an issue minus over tightening the housing bolt last oil change lol.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was kinda figuring that Bandit figured i would ask anyways it is Sunday and been a long week hahaha. glad to have her running again though. if anything i will just run the old bolt back on for now or leave that fresh oil in motor till the bolt comes in the mail i was conserned about running new oil with old filter.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got the clutch cover when I changed out the lever seal. I was discouraged from reading before that the housing had tough clear coat on it and didn't even try to rub it out...the service was done at the same time as the oil change, but I figured I'll get it shiny next lube job...but I can't stop staring at it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Clear coat sands off just as easily as paint....after all it's really just paint that is clear.

Sand with maybe 320 sandpaper, then 400, then 600 grit...you'll be down to the metal in no time...then use some 000 steel wool then some aluminum polish....you'll be amazed !

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
or dip the shiny bolt into some muriatic acid for a few seconds, that will dull it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.