Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day, another simple but show stopping problem.

So as I went to remove the oil filter today, the bolt simply stripped. It's completely rounded, as if it were made of putty.

I've tried drilling it out and using a puller, the $^#*ing thing snapped from the torque. So I tried cutting a groove in the head for a screwdriver, but I can't even pretend to get enough torque on it to do anything.

I've also tried vice grips, just eats right into the bolt and strips it smaller...

Is there anything I can do? Or am I going to have to cut it off and drill it out? (though I don't think that's feasible, as I think it would destroy whatever the bolt bolts into...

And help would be GREATLY appreciated. I really don't want to to any damage to the engine to get this bolt off, but I obviously cant just never change my filter again...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Do you have anything large enough to fit around the filter case itself? If you can get the case to turn, you should break the bolt free, if not then I'd take a hack saw and cut the front of the bolt off, get the case off, then take vise grips and squish the end of the bolt and take it off with them, the reason I say flatten it is because it's hollow, and won't hold up to much pressure. How much pressure did you put on there when you put it together, or is this your 1st oil change?

Another last ditch effort you could somehow cut through the side of the cover big enough for a screwdriver to fit in a good bit, and use that to break it free, probably use a dremel or something to that effect

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I would go back to the vise grip idea. What kind are you using. The jaws are the key I would use a rounded jaw that can go around a head and clamp down tight. That or the special one that's called something like a vise grip nut/bolt holder.

You may also want to try to turn the filter holder at the same time.

Just remember the housing is aluminum.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Is it possible to get some one with a MIG welder to weld a nut onto it and get it out?

Another option would be to use a dremel drill and cutting disc to take the head pf the bolt fully off very carefully.Then you could twist the cover off over it.Then get some vise grips onto the bolt shaft.It screws into a thread in the front of the engine which you will see once you get the cover off.

If you did damage the cover there's plenty around and not too expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-...2678820QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can get a larger more substantial 17mm oil filter bolt from Georgefix,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CX50...0985676QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Note:Inside the cover and this order there should be a Spring,then a large washer to prevent the spring pushing through the filter's rubber grommets,

You can see this arrangement on here,

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cx500a-1980england_model16465/partslist/E08.html

Also don't be tempted to over torque the new bolt.It should be between 14 Ftlbs and 18 Ftlbs.I use 16 max.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give those ideas a shot! I've even ground the bolt down to an 11mm and still just twisted round...

I'll take the head of it off and see if I can twist the cover. It's the first time I've tried to remove the bolt, previous owner must have wrenched it on like crazy. I keep finding spots he used loctite unnecessarily on... This is probably one of those things.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I too had a stubborn oil filter bolt. I quickly learned that you've got to use 6 point sockets...not 12 point ones....as they only strip the bolts. And you've got to put lots of pressure when turning. I don't believe the previous owner used loctite, but he did over torque the bolt. I did end up buying a new bolt, which I believe is made of a much stronger metal than the original. Any of the above suggestions on bolt removal should work. As Shep says, don't worry if you damage the oil filter cover, they are available to replace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FINALLY GOT IT OFF!!

That only took up my entire evening.... So, I'm not sure what he did but as I got to where the surface of the bolt and the filter cover mate, I started getting a real funny smell while grinding. It didn't smell like oil burning, more like... feet. Or something. So I wonder if there really was something there on the surface. Once I got the flange completely ground off though, the whole case spun right off. (Nice and warm, too!) and then the bold came right out, just grabbed the inside shaft and spun it by hand. So I suppose if he really torqued it on there good it could have had that effect, with the case basically acting like a spring... Looks like I need a new bolt! Also, I did a slight amount of damage to the mating surface between the case and the bolt. My instinct tells me that helps seal the oil, but I could be wrong. Does that surface need to be in good shape for the seal to work properly? Either way I guess I get to add a filter cover to the list of new things to get. And here I thought I was done with the Engine..... ><

Anyways thanks again for the tips, glad I took the time to post. I love this forum, seriously. You all are my heroes.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
I think many of these things end up overtightened for 2 basic reasons.

1, - sheer hamfistedness.

2, - Refitting the filter with an old, crushed 'O' ring and then overtightening to acheive a seal.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Glad to hear you got it off. Do heed the previous advice of the stronger 17mm bolt when fitting a replacement cover, it will make life much easier.

There are quite a few bolts and screws that Honda used that are as soft as these, and in odd places too. There are good options that have been posted for areas like the carbs that really benefit from newer materials.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'm just curious where you may have smelt burning feet for the comparison.

makes you wonder what they get up to in SLC dont it?

I had a guy with a stuck oil filter bolt that I had to take my 36"

stilsons to in order to get it off.

At one point I was actually lifting the bike off the ground !

Not sure why they get so damn tight

I only ever need to just nip mine up and they've never leaked

·
Registered
47 Posts
At one point I was actually lifting the bike off the ground !

I had that too Reg. Had to cut the head of the bolt off - it was easy after that!

Even if you get the old bolt off fairly cleanly, I recooemnd you get the larger head harder filter bolt (ebay)
Never have the same problem again on the same bike!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I went to change my oil today, got the bike heated up, one turn with a wrench, and felt the bolt head round over like it was made of wood.

I'm definitely going to need to get a replacement.

Can anyone provide a part number for the bolts with a 17mm head? I'd like to order one. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm thinkin the previous owner did not have the bolt o-ring to replace the old one with and may have used some type of adhesive sealer under the head of the bolt... Been going through the GL650 I got for my wife and have found a good many of areas that show signs of a gorilla mechanic having been in there...

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this 1980 CX500D for over 20 years and always changed the oil and filter regularly and do all the repairs myself.
That said, I know not to overtighten the bolts and never had a problem.
Then I had no time to ride and the bike sat in the garage for 5 years.
Wanted to change the oil and the oil filter bolt was siezed.
Then the head stripped, just like everybody else.
Vise grips just destroyed it more.
Came upon this forum and thread for some ideas.

cdyoung1985 said "Do you have anything large enough to fit around the filter case itself? If you can get the case to turn, you should break the bolt free"

I looked in my toolbox and found a large round Vise-Grip that fit around the oil filter cover.
Clamped it on and hit it with a rubber hammer and loosened it up in a few minutes and got the bolt out too. No damage to the housing cover.
I already bought a new bolt that everyone recommends.

Just want to say Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the helpful tips and info

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Now that is the right way to resurect a zombie thread!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.