Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Quick one.

I'm just curious, how much oil would you expect a CX500 to use in normal day to day running?

Thanks

Curtis

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Some may use little or none.Both my engines are made from very high mileage parts and I use pint of oil in a 1,000 miles depending on my throttle usage.If I cruise easy below 60 Mph I don't use much but at sustained 70/80 my usage goes up especially if I'm heavy on acceleration.

One thing about high use the oil never gets too old<grin> and as I use cheap oil it's not a problem and I change round 3,000 miles anyway

HTH

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i do oil changes every 2500 miles.i could get away without putting any in.i fill up to the top mark,and over the above milage,it never goes below the lower.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using about the same a pint ever 1000miles. I'm riding at around 60-65mph most of the time.

Looks like my bike an old girl too.

What's the usual cause, worn rings?

Cheers

Curtis

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
With my engines it's an accumulation of little things.They have good compression but I know the bores have a lot of mileage on them.My present ride has new Valve stem guides and stem seals as well which are usual suspects but the also the crank,although within spec,is 2nd hand with new shells on.

All these little things can add-up.Some people will own bikes that have not been abused and have kept well will most likely use very little oil.Old bikes are old bikes however there are even new bikes from some makers that use excessive oil.If you do a Google for motorcycle excessive oil use you'll find some interesting things

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I did the final drive twice last season. It's good to go. But I probably have enough oil to do it 4 more times.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I did the final drive twice last season. It's good to go. But I probably have enough oil to do it 4 more times.

Thing is Don you can't harm a bike by over-changing oil but you can the other way round and the drive oil is cheap and like you say you get a lot of changes out of a bottle

By the time my main oil has drained I've done the rear drive box so it doesn't take any longer in practice

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Be sure you are not overfilling with engine oil, this can cause increased oil loss or consumption.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Be sure you are not overfilling with engine oil, this can cause increased oil loss or consumption.

Hmmm.You may have something there Rich.The flags at the back of my house aren't that even so I may sometimes have topped up when I didn't have to.I'm going to use a spirit level and make a good spot,something I've been meaning to do for a while.I reduced my oil usage quite a lot last year by fitting new valve stem guides and valves and the engineering company I use also skimmed the heads.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Whenever I get a new to me machine I check the oil often to learn its particular schedule. As long as there aren't pools under it after sitting I go by those words printed in most every shop manual I've read- 'It is normal for this engine to consume oil between changes'.

Not related to our engines but another thing I have learned is to keep a splash lubricated engine filled to the upper indicator mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.