Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take the time to say, well, as the title says, hello.
I am the current owner of a 1979 CX500 Deluxe...It runs and rides, even after I started modifying it.
Picked it up about five or six years ago?(things got a bit blurry there for awhile) for $100.00 USD. Ran and rode then too.
I reside on the western side of the Mitten State.
I have been looking up info here (and the original Honda maintenance guide) and using some (lots) of it to help me keep going...I figured it was time to join and say thanks, heck I hope I have the chance to help others as well.

Thanks all!
-99Problems (about the number of things I still have to do on my bike).

·
Registered
624 Posts
You got quite the deal to find a $100 MC that has run for 6 years, sign me up! Or have you put thousands of dollars in it since? 😜

Welcome to the site.

Reactions: 99problems

·
Registered
624 Posts
BTW,

Everyone here loves to see pics, do post some of your iron steed.

Reactions: 99problems

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey All
I'm back, sorry for my disappearing act.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome!
I'm excited to get more involved with the community now.
I have a feeling I will be using the search function a lot over the next months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the best freshwater beaches over there.
We sure do, from the lower to the UP. I try to find as many hidden gems in this state as possible.
Doing it on two wheels makes that a more rewarding adventure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got quite the deal to find a $100 MC that has run for 6 years, sign me up! Or have you put thousands of dollars in it since? 😜

Welcome to the site.
BTW,

Everyone here loves to see pics, do post some of your iron steed.
Thanks for the welcome.
I love the bike, still needs so much work but that keeps me going. I like to understand how things work.
I've had more than one person tell me to sell it asap because its "not a good (real) bike"
I'll post a short video of it if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome, glad to have you. What are some of the mods you've done do it?
You know what.. I have done some weight reduction. So I jumped the gun with that statement. I had been given new bars, air filter pods, and some other things, for work I did (see, foundation patching, hunting and repairing electrical gremlins in vehicles,,,,,blah blah.)...got stuff put on but then they the "really" needed them back. I wasn't in the mood to fight about it. So i put what I still had back on.

I will say, I'm waiting on a seat upholstering job to be done, THANKS MUM!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's a real bike? stick around. I love my unreal bike
"500 cc isn't a real motorcycle its like an overpowered scooter" was the statement.😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the last video I had of the bike sort of running. I'll answer any and all questions I can.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
"500 cc isn't a real motorcycle its like an overpowered scooter" was the statement.😂
Your friend must have more need to compensate than you do. I love my middle weight. ( I just wish I were a middle weight!)
In response to that kind of statement, I always want to ask if a Ural is also a "real" motorcycle, since it's a 1930s twin, too.

Randall

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your friend must have more need to compensate than you do. I love my middle weight. ( I just wish I were a middle weight!)
In response to that kind of statement, I always want to ask if a Ural is also a "real" motorcycle, since it's a 1930s twin, too.

Randall
Thank you. I feel like I need to print this out and keep it with me for when these convos come up.
I think 500cc is plenty for me considering my physical attributes.
I totally get wanting the thrills of larger bikes... I'm not into bikes for that. I'm about the process of riding something that feels right to me...the wrenching, learning, experience.

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Hey, they haven't ridden an "Over powered scooter" recently, have they? A Burgman or a Silverwing? I'd own one of those scooters before I'd ride what people ride who don't like them. ;)
Some people ride to own. I own to ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"It's more fun riding a slow bike fast than riding a fast bike slow."
- MCrider on YouTube.
If I want something thats fast and I want to ride it fast then I'll head to a track....and find the bike for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, they haven't ridden an "Over powered scooter" recently, have they? A Burgman or a Silverwing? I'd own one of those scooters before I'd ride what people ride who don't like them. ;)
Some people ride to own. I own to ride.
I guess my bike didn't stand up to his moto guzzi or his honda shadow...🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 29 Posts