Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so wednesday broke down on the road 30 miles from home. Stupid master cylinder froze up and siezed the front brake again. So I pop the bleeder and am able to ride home. Thursday I took the bike to work and was going to look at it. Never got time and it never acted up. This is 60 miles later. Trip home. 5 miles down the road in the county it feels weird. So I pull over and pop the bleeder. Fluid shoots out and the bike move easy again.

So refill port isn't working, o get home and put an old suzuki GS1100 MC on and everything has been fine.

This morning I go to rid to work and the metal ball on the throttle pull cable busted off. So now I guess I'll order new cables since nobody will tell me where to get a new end put on. I'm fairly certain its possible to crimp a new end on but I have no clue where to get one.

New cables arnet much but I really needed the mileage from the bike. Just venting. Had this bike for what seems like forever and its been an endless stream of stuff breaking just when I fix something.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I feel your pain, that is a bummer. When I first bought my GL650 one thing after another broke or went south. I decided to go over the entire bike and remade all the electrical connections, cleaned the carbs, etc. The bike has been rock steady reliable since then. I am always tweaking things though, and enjoy it. I carry spare throttle and clutch cables on the bike.

You can fashion a new cable end from a bit of brass tube. Solder the new end on the cable. You may have to shorten the outer cable sleeve a bit. Here is a link to some cable ends and a how to...

solder on cable end

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ok so wednesday broke down on the road 30 miles from home. Stupid master cylinder froze up and siezed the front brake again. So I pop the bleeder and am able to ride home. Thursday I took the bike to work and was going to look at it. Never got time and it never acted up. This is 60 miles later. Trip home. 5 miles down the road in the county it feels weird. So I pull over and pop the bleeder. Fluid shoots out and the bike move easy again.

So refill port isn't working, o get home and put an old suzuki GS1100 MC on and everything has been fine.

This morning I go to rid to work and the metal ball on the throttle pull cable busted off. So now I guess I'll order new cables since nobody will tell me where to get a new end put on. I'm fairly certain its possible to crimp a new end on but I have no clue where to get one.

New cables arnet much but I really needed the mileage from the bike. Just venting. Had this bike for what seems like forever and its been an endless stream of stuff breaking just when I fix something.

There is a thread in the tech section on shortening cables and it has all the info you need to attach a new end. Can even use a piece of a small bolt.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a feeling it would be stuoid easy. Thanks guys

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well from looking at the pics it appears I can shorten or make it longer but how would I make a new end for the throttle grip?

Just get some tubing and somehow put a hole in the middle for it to run out of?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ya gotta realize these are OLD bikes...they may not have a lot of mileage but they are OLD age wise. The metal in those cables weakens over 30 years and they do break. I as well carry my old throttle and clutch cables on the bike just in case...although I highly doubt I'll EVER need them...I'm sure the new ones will be fine for a while !

It's been covered here a thousand times about the best option for the master cylinders is to simply replace them simply for your own safety.

The blessing though at least from what I've learned is that once you've replaced one of the old parts you're probably not going to have to do it again for a LONG TIME so it IS worth the money for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so what about a roll pin, some sodering, and drilling out the middle some.

I don't mind buying new cables but I'm just thinking of what would happen if a breakdown in the woods or in the desert.

I guess smart people would carry extras but this has never happened to me before.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Replace the cables and have piece of mind. Its my two cents.

About the master cylinder. Under the resevoir there are two holes. The smallest hole is where the fluid comes back into the resevior when the brake handle is released. It often gets plugged. Its so tiny that getting it unplugged can be a little challenging. I use a piece of electrical wire from a stranded insulated wire. I've tried drill bits that I use to clean carb jets with and they seem a little big. But once the obstruction in the hole is removed it will release properly.

You can do this on the bike but you must and I repeat must cover anything painted you want.

Procedure

remove resovior cap

using turkey basker or eye dropper remove fluid. Leave just enough fluid over the holes in the base of the master cylinder to avoid filling bleeding later.

Remove plastic resovior. twist and pull. Sometime I have to use a little pry bar. Be careful not to break it. Oh yea don't let it splatter fluid everywhere. Cover it then attempt to remove it. Set it aside

Depending how dirty your fluid is you should be able to see the two small holes now. Using the wire wiggle jiggle the hole until it free of debris.

I like to clean up the o-ring while I am at this point.

Put it back together and fill the resovior. Clean up your mess.

Put the cover back on the resovior

compress your caliper slowly to push fluid back up in your master cylinder.

Hope this helps

May consider putting on new brake pads too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem is the small hole (refill) doesn't seem to create a geiser.

I took the piston and seals out and used a rubber tipped blow gun on all holes. I think its fixed but why no geiser of fluid. Also my master assembly is clean. Clean as in no brown crust or even stains anywhere.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The brake fluid return hole is REALLY small. Not many people have drills down to the right size, unless you have circuit board drills or something. Wiggling a piece of copper wire usually works. Your pads should release by themselves, partly because of the rubber seals, and partly because of slight run-out of the rotor. Run-out is just the fancy name for disc warp, which is perfectly normal, even on new rotors. It's so small you dont feel it at the lever.

Try removing your calipers and squeezing the piston back in with a G-clamp or whatever to force the fluid back to the M/C under pressure. Check you dont overflow the reservoir.

The fluid should "geiser" or is it "geyser" ? you know what I mean.

If not, the return hole is obstructed. This usually occurs in older bikes, as owner's dont change the fluid often enough. When applying heaps of brake, the fluid warms up, and at night it chills, and microscopic amounts of condensation form in the lines etc. Water and Aluminum dont play nice together.

Hope this helps, feel free to correct any mistakes, Guys. i'M on LoTs of MedICatIOn....

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well from looking at the pics it appears I can shorten or make it longer but how would I make a new end for the throttle grip?

Just get some tubing and somehow put a hole in the middle for it to run out of?

1.) Get some brass rod of the proper size to fit hole in throttle grip at a hobby shop or hardware store or home depot etc. Or use a brass screw of the proper diameter.

2.) Drill a cable size hole through the rod. It is easier to drill the hole before cutting rod or screw to length. Chamfer the hole.

3.) Push cable through hole, and spread strands, leaving a bit of cable sticking out of hole, and solder. Cut off extra cable and file smooth.

...Or buy a throttle cable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I guess I'll have to buy a cable. I was able to find a 2 foot section of copper pipe for 4 dollars.

I also got a brass tube but it would be hard to cut as all my tools are at work.

Anyway I cut a piece of copper flush to the grip piece. Drilled a hole and realized I would have to cut the sleeve. So after peeling away the rubber I forgot about the hardened spring material that allows the cable to flex. So... I'm just buying one on friday or sat next week when I can afford it.

I only made this post since some of us can't afford extra cables. Otherwise I would have done that. So far I've owned it since december and riddin it for a day lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.