Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to fit a single sided swing arm off the NTV600 onto a CX? I fancy trying to do this but wonder if anyone else has already tried it - thus I could use any tips or advice before I try myself.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Being shaft driven, I can't see that being safe at all... The rear wheel would be held on by the 3 nuts on the final drive, and I doubt the studs on it are strong enough to hold all that weight

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Anythings doable if you have the time and money but

Lookimg at a pic of an NTV600, the first snag that comes to mind

is the shaft is on the LH side !

I'd try to marry up one from a bike that had the shaft on the RH side meself

as you'll have snags enough to cope with as it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That would be one sick looking swap. My buddy just changed over his shaft driven bike to a chain so he could do the one side swing arm. You might want to think about that as an option!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't see the point unless you are planning on having a lot of flat tires. But then what would you do about a flat on the front. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just taken the plunge and bought one anyway. I know the shaft runs on the left , as against the CX on the right. My thought is to invert the arm and weld new mounts thus converting it to a right hand drive. But this is where the fun will start . The CX I have is a twin shock model and the NTV is mono-shock. I could brace the frame and use just one suspension leg or maybe convert the frame to single leg suspension , ALA mono-shock. However I also have an aluminium arm off a turbo model which is about 2 and 1/2 inch longer.

The NTV arm I have just bought comes with its own shaft and in order to make the turbo one fit I would need to extend the shaft the relevant length, which considering the car fraternity do all the time , will be relatively easy.

AT the moment I am building an old school chop out of a 1980 CX500A , which is almost finished and these thoughts and ideas regarding the single sided swing arm are for the next project. I am just testing the water in the hope that I might find that this has been done before thus I can tap into someone else's engineering talents as to what to do and how to go about it. The overall scheme will be a silvered finish including a highly polished engine and aluminium tank , hence the need for an aluminium arm.

This project should take me about a year to complete which is a lot longer than I would like. The delay will be brought about because I need to rebuild a GL1100A engine which is suffering from a serious oil pressure problem - I want this sorted out before June because my wife and I are going to tour North Spain for our Holidays.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be one sick looking swap. My buddy just changed over his shaft driven bike to a chain so he could do the one side swing arm. You might want to think about that as an option!

Sounds like a good idea but how did he convert to chain drive - sounds like it would be a lot tidier and easier to get the single sided look I`m after.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ill ask him, it wasnt on a cx but never the less if it can be done to his drive shaft then im positive it can be done to ours. Ill get more info on it and take pics of his bike for you

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you converted it you could get a higher mph level, by just changing the rear sprocket. so there are disadvantages and advantages

A few years ago I owned a Kawasaki GT750 and fitted a GPZ750 engine into it. The GPZ engine was chain drive but the conversion just involved swapping over the drive output assembly which is nothing more than a bolt on factory fitting. This gave me a slightly stronger engine with the advantage of clean lines via the shaft. This can work the other way by fitting the GT engine into a GPZ by just swapping the shaft output box with the chain output assembly. I`d love to know how to convert the CX into chain drive but I do not see how it can be done though. It is not as if I could do it by swapping components over - I do not have the facilities to machine anything that could possibly do this myself and I do not have the finances to pay for it to be done either. But if anyone has any ideas then I am more than open to suggestions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There was a guy in the Uk about 10 years ago that turned a goldwing, yes a goldwing into a street fighter, one-off frame (spondon i think) and a NTV swinging arm turned up-side down with the linkage removed and placed on the underside (now top) with VFR body work re modeled to fit, looked well cool, even had a side stand on the wrong side as well as the right side so he could leave it on what ever side he wanted, will see if i can find a picture for you.

If i remember right he had to alter the diff breather etc to make it work with-out spilling its guts!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The NTV swing arm arrived today and it looks like a no-goer. The NTV arm is too wide to fit the frame of the CX - about 1 and 1/4 too wide. But all is not lost - it came with the drive shaft for the NTV which has a UJ which fits the output of the CX engine perfectly. This gives me the chance of mating an aluminium arm of a turbo model , which is 2 and 1/2 inch longer onto my twin shock model. I have the ability to make new suspension mounts out of 3/8 ali and convert this arm into a twin shocker, or maybe convert the frame into a monshock. In either case the advantages would be a stretched frame with a longer wheel base - about 2 and 1/2 inch longer . Even though my original idea was for a single sided rear end the prospect of a longer , cleaner , shiner rear end appeals to me all the same.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have heard of many people milling a swingarm down to fit inside of a different frame. This might be a possibility for you.....just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have heard of many people milling a swingarm down to fit inside of a different frame. This might be a possibility for you.....just throwing it out there.

Sounds like a good idea - worth looking into but if I was to mill much metal away I do not think I would have enough meat for the bearings to be supported

·
Registered
413 Posts
Beautiful. Do you have a build thread somewhere? I'd like to read about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.