Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they're selling well here, and I am starting to see them on the road. I know that this has been discussed before but how much would a GL650I go for new in 2011 dollars. I figure you need to add a 10% premium for improvements in technology such as self adjusting valves and cam chain, fuel injection etc.

A

BTW the folks that are buying the NT700V are not young people, they are folks that can't hold up the Gold wing or Harley but are put off by modern old looking cruisers. I talked to one guy that was lamenting the demise of his favorite bike, you guessed it, the GL500I, and wishes he had never gotten rid of it years ago. But, as he went on, all I do with this bike is add gas, check the oil, bring it in for a service once in a while and ride. I guess it gets really good mileage as well.

A sensible commuter bike, who would have thunk it. Well Honda did when they came out with the CX back in 1978. It was a reliable bike with sufficient power, maintenance free shaft drive and liquid cooling. I guess that never goes out of style. That's why I have a CX and a GL. But, alas, no NT700V.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the NT700 as well. Kind of like a smaller ST1300. Not sure I am sold on the givi trunk, but otherwise a nice looking ride. if/when I get a new bike that will be toward the top of the list for sure. The whole fuel injection thing really sounds good.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I stop buy once a week looking at & drooling over the NT700V...awesome...10K out the door. One can dream right? Till my ship comes in, I plan to use my 79 to its fullest potential

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
They are nice but I'd never buy a "brand new" car or bike.....that's a money loss right out the door and not smart financially.....wait until they start showing up in ads as "used". I HATE having to be the one paying the dealers mark up and the salesman's commission....let someone else pay that !!

The other issue new or used is I wouldn't get any car or bike in its first couple years of production.....let them get out on the road for a couple years so all the OTHER people can deal with the quirks and issues that a certain "model" may have, recalls can be made and/or fixes for specific issues are devised.......kind of like the cam chain issue with the early CX's.

I'm also thinking that there probably isn't that much of a difference between a 500cc and a 700cc when you're out on the highway going 70mph.....since I already own a smaller displacement 500cc bike then next one for me would be at least a 900cc and probably bigger.

Nice looking bike though....just not my "spot of tea" so to speak

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm also thinking that there probably isn't that much of a difference between a 500cc and a 700cc when you're out on the highway going 70mph.....since I already own a smaller displacement 500cc bike then next one for me would be at least a 900cc and probably bigger.

There ain't no replacement for displacement! I even wish my Valyrie were bigger, I'm thinkin my next bike should be a Boss Hoss V-8.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There ain't no replacement for displacement! I even wish my Valyrie were bigger, I'm thinkin my next bike should be a Boss Hoss V-8.

Oh you don't know HOW MUCH I'd LOVE to have a Valkyrie.....oh man, oh man, oh man....those are hot looking bikes that look REAL comfy to ride.

Love that shiney huge engine showing out the sides.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Between 500cc, and 700cc? Probably not much. Between a 80s 500cc, and a 2010 700cc I guarantee you the difference is significant.

I do agree with you sentiment against new vehicles. I personally would not finance a vehicle. Maybe its because Im a broke college student, at a near minimum wage job.

As for the first few years of a vehicle production. I also agree, but tend to blindly trust Honda. I dont think they have made a blatant POS (in terms of reliability at least) yet.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I sat on one last year and it didn't feel right. A day later I sat on a DN-01 and liked the feel.

But maybe giving it a ride would be more fair to either bike.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I sat on one last year and it didn't feel right. A day later I sat on a DN-01 and liked the feel.

But maybe giving it a ride would be more fair to either bike.

Stitch,

I was about to chime in with just about the exact same thing.

I sat on both and like both A LOT but the DN-01 looks much better to me.

I think it is the longer lower look to it. I really do not like the automatic tranny on the DN-01.

·
Registered
264 Posts
man I can't get this out of my head. Right now the carbs are off the wing. the forks are off the parts bike because I am putting them on the daily driver (because they have duel front brakes and good seals). the tanks and all plastics are off both. I am takeing the old windjammer off and putting on the headlight and turnsignals again. and it all just looks like a big rats nest pile of junk in my garage. I keep thinking about how nice it would be to just get a new bike and ride it. but I can't swallow 10K. maybe they won't sell good to the american market and I can pick one up cheaper. I can dream right?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have no worries about reliability with it being a new model, we've had it on the market here since about 2006 and the nt650v (carb version) since about 2000. Only problems seem to be corrosion on the front of the engine/ front downpipe area behind the wheel. A lttle more difficult to service than the cx, mainly down having to remove plastic trim to get at anything.

A reliable workhorse, it has a reputation of being a little boring but thats pobably down to the fact its predictable and does everything you would expect from it, marketed here in the UK as the Deauville its been nicknamed the dullville by many. This is probably by the same people who mocked the cx and what did they know? Panniers are a bit on the small side, but larger lids are available to gain more room,Linked brakes take some getting used to ! 55- 60mpg (uk gall.) is usual.

·
Registered
264 Posts
that is interesting mileage because all the reviews i read say the computer displays a mileage of 55-65 mpg and actual is like 50. wonder if your british gallons are a different size and our american ones?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
1 British Imperial gallon = 1.201 U.S. gallons

Lets leave the Brits out of this and call it as we should Imperial gallon.

U.S. gallon = 3.78 liters

Imperial gallon = 4.5 liters

About a 20% difference

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Not having ridden the 700, I am just assuming there is a whole lot of differences from my 500. 200cc's and 30+ years of

technological advancements will undoubtedly show a lot more power. Displacement does not always tell the story for power,

my 1200 will eat any HD of larger cc's, but of course their claim to fame is low end grunt and torque.

My 175 IT 2 stroke, when you hit the power band is wild. Triumphs 2.3 liter won't beat a GXSR 1000. As cool as the

V8 Boss Hoss is, I would not want to drive it in the Walmart parking lot on a Saturday afternoon and try to negotiate

the insanity.
But they sure sound cool when launched.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was at the local dealer yesterday. I got to have a look at the nt700v. First impression was very good. Would love

extra extra big lids for the side boxes when touring and re install the stock ones for around town. And definitely no top box/ or case. I just don't see them adding to the lines or looks (remember its only what i like you can dress your's as you see fit).The only negative comment i have is the pictures in the mags all make the exhaust look like a chromed railroad tie. But in person you never see those shapes in the showroom. There is a huge gap in the current marketplace and this bike fills some of it. I see it a some sort of "spritual successor" to the cx/gl and that is a huge compliment to Honda and the specific machine.

I see it like this. When someone goes shopping the sexy one just drags 'em in. Like the Wr250x. Then you find out it takes an oil change for 4 hours of riding. (I never knew any women that required that much maintaince. But i still love the bike and the idea of a nimble 250), And the small cute ones just don't fit for more than short rides.So it is short ride after short ride. The fast ones can't be ridden on the street like they feel they should be. etc. etc.

Its all compromise... I think when one bike, car, house, boat or chair exceeds in the highest order its going to have to fail or come very short in others. Probably thats why we have over 25,000 different chairs out there all fit some, no one fits all but we all know a good chair when we see it.

The Nt700v could very comfortably live with. Its preceived short commings (actually i would like to have lunch

with the design team or person responsible for it just to ask "why this why that")may not matter after a while. And as we know you can't court you have to buy. Who wants to spend $10,000 to experment?

Does it stand out enough to have staying power??? Only time will tell. I bet yes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.